Spring Football 2022

Chuck found his man already - Myles White from Stephen F Austin

This staff has been collecting ex-NFLers like Pokemon cards for staff replacements.

2 Likes
1 Like

That’d be an interesting gig!

D-Day and I attended football practice on Saturday. Not a great deal of new information. As a former coach ( not football, but it is the same) I liked how organized the practice was as players would quickly move ( run or jog) from station to station. Very little wasted time, it was highly organized and that allows a team to get a lot accomplished in 2 hours. It looked much better than things looked during the first practice video.

Our offense is way ahead of our defense, which you would expect. We have a 4 year starting QB, 5 returning starters on the O-line, a couple of experienced TE’s who can run and catch, 2 returning starting wr’s and every running back returning. The defense is starting over at DE and DB’s. Kevin Davis and Darez Snider took most of the snaps at TB. Besides Jalin Walker and Hippenhammer, Coldiron and Muersch looked good. Kevin Davis is a really good receiver coming out of the backfield. Devin Dorsey will probably play some in 3 wr looks.

The passing game was really good. Gabbert, coming into his 4th year as a starter, seems in complete control and was very accurate with a wide variety of throws. He might well be the best QB in every game we play next season. The other thing I liked is they really pushed the offensive guys to be ready and alert as a coach on the sideline would yell out a play and then yell player’s numbers and guys would go sprinting in and others would come sprinting out, so they were applying pressure and speed to the guys just like it would be in a real game and of course we do run a lot of guys in and out of offense. They also had a full set of refs there to call penalties to make it realistic and a learning situation.

I did not really watch the defense as much, so no information there.

12 Likes

Looks like 94 on D…Terran Heran…not sure if that’s correct spelling name…but close, is showing up on film at DE?

6-3/4 240-250 speed guy…maybe 91 as well…both look like guys that have grown and added weight, strength.

Yeah, he’s always been a DE

Yup…if you watch, it looks like #94, #91 and the transfer (#11) are lining up with the “1s” at DE (our open position)…Ty Wise (soild LB, 6-2, 230-235) maybe used in rushing downs as well.

#11 (transfer) has size and look of the departed DE, Terran and I think Marlon Jr (#91) are interesting as they have grown a bit (both look 6-3/4 230 to 240)…can’t imagine #91 is 211lbs anymore.

1 Like

Great video with Caleb Shaffer

1 Like

Caleb is the real deal. One of the best pro prospects on the team. Huge upside.

1 Like

Impressive young man…composed, talented…I think that’s type of person Miami strives for and succeeds at mentoring, fostering (same can be said for Ertl…Sorenson, etc, etc).

Nice to see the student-athlete “alive and well !”

3 Likes

very nice!

OL This year has a lot of experience. That’s a very good thing.

1 Like

Two things about Caleb. He is an intelligent, articulate student-athlete. A real leader on and off the field. Very proud that he’s a Miami Man. Also his body has changed–he is slimmer–the baby fat is gone. He’s a rock.Look forward to him pancaking d linemen. The RB’s are going to find huge holes this year. Going to be a dominate O!

6 Likes

Another stud…Jalen Walker. Composed, articulate…talented…hopefully a great year next fall.

1 Like

Anybody out there going to the scrimmage tomorrow?

We should have a Miami HawkTalk pre-game!

For all the locals they said UC tickets will be on available tomorrow. Have season tickets but USucks not included. Game at Paul Brown this year.

Wish I was there today. Also wish it was streamed somewhere. Maybe one day

2 Likes

Yep. Streaming of the showcase would be great. Also disappointing that none of the three game home softball series with Cal is being streamed…

2 Likes

I wish it was OUTSIDE.

1 Like