Scanning the portal

Liberty SF Ben Southerland leaving. From Sycamore HS in Cincinnati. Had Miami offer.

1 Like

My old school!

…and my daughter’s

1 Like

Yellow: you went to Sycamore HS?

1 Like

Yes I did. Although it was 105 years ago. So long ago I knew the original aviator.

1 Like

One of our big rivals…I played basketball and baseball for Mariemont HS…I ended up in the same frat as one of Sycamore hoops starters I played against.

P.S. ChrisW went to Mariemont, too.

3 Likes

A good friend of mine played tennis for Mariemont. Nice little town that was.

So of all the players listed here, who should we go after? AJ Braun? Cincykid3?..(Chris W told me Cincykid3 was a pretty good player, probably never used his Covid year.)

1 Like

Yeah Dick…I probably have a few years of eligibility left! :joy:. I wasn’t all that good but I could shoot free throws!

2 Likes

https://x.com/verbalcommits/status/1770210803985350796?s=46&t=kkeF2AzE13jVd9hF623X4A

From Chicago, had offers from YSU and KSU.

https://x.com/verbalcommits/status/1770456589922893965?s=46&t=kkeF2AzE13jVd9hF623X4A

From Cleveland, had Miami offer.

1 Like

Ideal kid and player for Miami to try and get. And fits positional need.

4 Likes

Raheim Moss from Toledo in.
Jalen Sullinger from Kent in.

Followed by Coach Steele and the Miami basketball account

https://twitter.com/TravisBranham_/status/1770464215955878261

3 Likes

Cochran from Toledo in.

1 Like

Cochran, Moss, and Sullenger were certainly 3 of the best in the MAC. It certainly minimizes our loss. I guess we just got closer to the top.

These losses are just terrible for the league.

2 Likes

I agree , but I also admit I’ll be very interested in where they land. I’m still not sure what their expectations are when they enter.

I wonder if Safford had any part in Sullinger leaving?

my guess is they already were contacted and know where they will end up–likely taking a shot at a better overall league and/or they are getting more NIL than what they would get to stay. For some its playing time, some its leaving bad culture or coach got fired, or coach told them you should look elsewhere, NIL$, playing in better league or with better team…lots of reasons for players to transfer and not all are just “unloyal”, “quitters” etc like so many make them out to be. (Especially coaches…)

1 Like

I think the narrative is changing. There was a point where if a player was in the transfer portal, coaches and fans would both wonder what was wrong with them. I think in the past two years, folks are now looking at it as players “getting their bag.” As a fan, I have mixed feelings. Mid-majors have historically been able to separate themselves by finding under-recruited diamonds and developing them. I think some players will stick around, others will leave, and coaches will need to adapt and be ready to replace with P5-type players who didn’t get the playing time they needed or lower level D1/upper D2 type players who showed out.

I’ve shared before that I transferred to Miami. I knew my goal was to get a degree from Miami before I was in high school. My parents went to Miami. I grew up watching Big Ben, Bramos, and others. I had a TBI a bit before HS graduation that kept me from enrolling directly in Miami. I’m thankful I had the chance to get to Miami, even if I took the long route. I’d hate for a student-athlete to be denied that sense of achievement. I hope others want to be at Miami because it’s Miami, not because it’s a stepping stone. That’ll be key in this portal era.

7 Likes