Sayler and the CFP

Folks on this board have mentioned they email, or speak with, AD Sayler from time to time on a variety of topics. Would love to know his thoughts on CFP deliberations as a participant. Is he sworn to secrecy? The Florida Attorney General is suing the CFP for communications, documentation, etc, from the CFP deliberations, I’m guessing to look for some sort of smoking gun of ESPN either influencing committee, or taking orders from the committee, or something in writing that said “we’re screwing FSU.”

Whatever little leeway that he had to talk about their deliberations has certainly gone out the window now that there is serious litigation with a state’s attorney general in play.

2 Likes

I have little sympathy for anyone but the FSU players did the FSU fans or anyone involved in that program say anything about UCF getting snubbed in 2017 I don’t think so

1 Like

Sure they did. FSU has no reason to pimp the SEC, even if they do want in that league. In 2017, Bama had a one-game season, lost that game, and still got in over UCF. UCF then beat the team that beat Bama (Auburn) in the bowl game. Everyone in Florida loved that.

1 Like

The rumor mill is running with Florida State and Clemson jumping to the Big10 after the bowl season. But we’ll see. Florida State I could see. Clemson, not so much

I had a conversation with David Saylor before one of our basketball games, mostly about his experience with the college football committee. I suggested to him doing an interview on MU RedHawks.com and he said no one would be interested and I told him I thought people would be fascinated. He had some interesting stories too. It would also be a great feature for our Alumni magazine.

3 Likes

I don’t see the Big Ten waving their AAU requirement for either school. Besides, both are perfect fits for the SEC. If the Big raids the ACC, I see them going after UNC and UVA with maybe Duke, GaTech and/or Miami getting a ticket.

3 Likes

Agree

Florida doesn’t want FSU. South Carolina doesn’t want Clemson. That could be a sticking point with the SEC for both.

Why? Florida State’s hey day was like 40 years ago….Clemson is a much more relevant program

Not this year.

3 Likes

Eh, “But that one time…” narratives aren’t compelling. Pitt would be a much better B10+6 addition

1 Like

I don’t think schools get votes. I think it’s all about viewership

Big 10 added Rutgers, why? Added 4 west coast schools why?

1 Like

West coast?

Nike. Techworld in Seattle. LaLa Land

1 Like

Nebraska isn’t in the AAU, so that criteria clearly doesn’t prohibit membership into the Big Ten.

As HawkLBacker said, the Big Ten’s strategy regarding expansion has been all about viewership and owning large TV markets. The Big Ten network needs eyeballs! That explains why they’ve been willing to abandon the geographic model that conferences historically used (and the SEC still does, to an extent) and expand into DC, NYC areas initially, and now LA and Seattle. I must say I’m a bit confused why the Big Ten didn’t want Stanford and Cal with their proximity to SF Bay area, but perhaps they didn’t want 2 more teams (or that’s a future expansion once the dust settles on this round)? I could see Pitt being a future match for multiple reasons (market size, natural rivalries), but they had their chance a while ago and couldn’t get in then. And, of course, there’s Notre Dame, which may have to join a conference eventually.

If tv/media markets alone were the driving factor, Syracuse would be in the Big 10 and Nebraska wouldn’t.

2 Likes

I always thought Pittsburgh should be

1 Like

Just like the SEC situation, schools in states with a single dominant Big 10 program don’t want to let another instate program in. No way OSU would have ever accepted Cincinnati and not a chance Penn State would accept Pitt.

Why would a conference, viewing an addition through the lens of greater tv revenue, let a single team dictate that decision

Anything else would be 1990s thinking, imo

Some schools have enough clout —-OSU, Penn St—-to control this. Neither wants to lose their in-state recruiting edge….and the conference and TV dealmakers just go along.