RIP Coach Knight

I met (interviewed) him once. He was cordial. He wasn’t entirely interested in discussing basketball, but he went overtime talking about fishing and hunting, which I knew (still) very little about.

The video below is moving (to some).

Click on the link below or your liver will throw a chair across your great room.

1 Like

The real question is if he follows through with his threat to be buried upside down so his critics can kiss his ass?

3 Likes

Loved the YouTube video of The General attempting to hit his golf ball out of a sand trap…classic Knight.

I saw him when he brought his Indiana team to Millett in the late 80s when I was a student. We showed up 2-3 hours before tip just to get the best seats. All of the students were giving him the business about throwing chairs and all that jazz, but he just kind of coolly ignored it and just coached the game. He had a larger than life presence.

3 Likes

His team kicked our arse in the 90’s. But hey, that’s how it goes. We got Joaby from IU and that set in motion a pretty great run. Thanks, Bob! Ps, I have an awesome old commercial I’m gonna post. Hold….

Edit: I found it. And for all you who didn’t laugh at my trip down memory lane in another thread, well here’s an ad from a more elegant time when ads were you know…good. You’re welcome!

2 Likes

Ron Harper ( soph) and 4 Senior starters (John Willoughby, Chuck Stahl, and a forward and a center that slip my mind tonight) beat him at IU. That game was kind of a coming out party for Harper as far as National attention.

2 Likes

“Just say no! Just say no!”

Yep, definitely was there 2+ hours early for that one.

1 Like

John Marx and Chuck Dahn? Miami 63-IU 57

1 Like

Yep, Marx and Dahn.

Dick it was likely John Marx at center. Could have been Chuck Dahn or Stephen Suddarth at forward. Ron Hunter and Eric Newsome would have played as well. Game was 11/26/83. I was a freshman in 1983.

1 Like

I attended a first round NCAA tournament game about 20 years ago. Indiana was there, and we had courtside seats. At the pregame introduction, when Knight’s name was announced, the crowd went nuts with most of it booing. Fast forward: after halftime, the teams came out. No Bob Knight. The second half began, no Bob Knight. About three minutes into the second half, Knight sauntered out of the tunnel over to the IU bench and the crowd went absolutely bonkers. He gave no acknowledgement, but he clearly had done this to get a reaction. I have never laughed so hard in my life.

This is vintage Bobby Knight.

May he RIP. He did not rest. much when he was coaching.

https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/1719895460310102345

1 Like

We tried to get there as quickly after practice and mess….still only got seats three rows from the top. I never saw millett that full

2 Likes

Bobby was a motivational guest speaker at one of my company’s national meetings back around 2000 on Amelia Island.

For some reason I was one of three guys picked to play golf w Bobby. (well, I am a decent golfer). He was exactly as you would have expected…funny, vulgar, and a pretty good golfer. He told dirty jokes and told some good stories as well. He was unfiltered and unabashedly who he was…for better or worse.

2 Likes

I’d have loved to be in that grouping. You win.
Ps. He was a great athlete. I bet he was decent at golf.

3 Likes

The level of loquaciousness with use of the F-word is legendary

2 Likes

Tates Locke came from his coaching tree at Army West Point.

Pizza Hut is to appetite as Jack Nicklaus is to golf.

Nice.

This time you misremembered! Yesterday it was me. Bob Knight actually came from the Tates Locke coaching tree. Knight was actually coaching at Army while you and I were at Miami. Tates coached at Army from 1963 to 1965. Incidentally, Coach K played for Knight and then was the head coach at Army before going to Duke, so he was part of the Locke coaching tree, as was Darryl Hedric.

All 3 of those guys were super intense and great coaches , but both Knight and Locke sometimes took it to far, while I think Coach K handled it better. Believe me, when I entered Miami we had two of the best and most intense competitors for our head coaches that there ever were, Bo Schembechler and Tates Locke.

1 Like