Positives From Miami Loss To Toledo

I know nothing about football and less about tennis, but since I think have spent almost 20,000 hours on a tennis court in my life, I want to tell you he’s right in a way. Slow play is demoralizing for your opponent and it can absolutely change the momentum and outcome of a match. I can give you a colossal amount of examples. True, it’s terribly boring to watch, pissed off the fans, but is very, very effective. Granted, there is no time limit in tennis and in football you can run out of time so there’s the rub. Maybe it’s shades of grey? I don’t know. Fascinating from a game theory standpoint.

2 Likes

Like Chuck but not the offense

2 Likes

MHT goes on a bigger rollercoaster with coach Martin than the largest 6 flags ride. While it’s always natural to want more I think a lot of people need to be reminded he took over a program that was pretty much winless. 2 MAC championships and consistent bowl appearances isn’t a half bad life

1 Like

Can we stop with “…remember what he inherited.”? After eleven years I don’t see how that’s any longer relevant.

12 Likes

It is not relevant to the 2024 season. It is relevant when comparing his total record

1 Like

Which is 57-66. Somehow I don’t feel better.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t mind the slower pace if we were more efficient. I loved Charlie’s basketball pace for the most part, but there were few turnovers. Our football slowdown seems to be leading to too many rushed plays at the end of the clock and too many timeouts, late subs and penalties. Couple those things with a decline in special teams and it frustrates me.

1 Like

We’re 0-1 in the MAC. We lost to the best team in the league on the road. We don’t look very good, but Chuck teams typically get better as the year goes along. If Brett can get back closer to his former self, we might salvage a decent year.

We’re kind of Stuck with Chuck ™ at this point. The stability is nice. His offense is unwatchable, but he does most other things really well. He is always going to field a good MAC team and compete for league championships most years. The likelihood of ever making the playoffs is remote, so winning the league is our ceiling.

1 Like

Thank you Harold Solomon, Brad Gilbert, and Eddie Dibbs!

1 Like

Where we are this season isn’t just on Brett. Just saying…

2 Likes

I find it pretty relevant when the board is bitching and moaning about going to a bowl game. Life can be a lot worse

6 Likes

While Brett has made some bad decisions he was faced with come from behind situations due overall poor performance of the team. Also as noted by others on this site our O line and Coach Patton a great disappointment. Unless we can generate a consistent run game with good blocking we will have a losing season no matter who is at QB or in the running back positions. Further we are way to predictable on D and the Toledo game is a perfect example. The question continues to be wether this staff can make the necessary adjustments. This Saturday v EMU will be a good test.

2 Likes

Idk, my apologies, fellas. “Stuck With Chuck” just got in my head, and sounded like an 80s sitcom or something, so I ran with it.

2 Likes

@preaves_15 With the plethora of bowl games a lot of mediocre teams go bowling. With the exception of 2023 that’s who we are. I’m amazed how many on this board use that as a benchmark for success.

5 Likes

Making a bowl game should never be the goal of any FBS program with the rare exception of those that “also have football” in a challenging conference. (Vandy comes to mind) Fans, the AD, the university, and coaches should measure the season on results relative to the level of competition played….period. It is undeniable that this team has underperformed by at least 1 win thus far. It is also undeniable that we are fortunate not to be sitting at 0-5. There is time to right the ship but marked improvements are needed and immediately.

5 Likes

That summarizes my feelings. As I see it, it doesn’t matter the B5, G5, P5, X5, or whatever label we use. What matters is that we lost to two really average teams ranked in the 75 - 100 range (one in front of a record crowd), and we almost lost to one terrible team (ranked 130) at home. Yes, we lost some key pieces, but we retained very good ones, too.

In my previous post, by no means was I suggesting that CM should be fired, but given the amount of money Miami is investing in football (when, e.g., professors are over 800 days without a raise - I know; mildly unrelated topic), the heat should definitely be there. Nothing ludicrous or “top notch Message Board Geniuses Material.” It is a matter of accountability.

4 Likes

Less than one year ago, we won double digit games, the conference, and all three rivalry games. I remember it well. It was awesome. This isn’t “remember the 70s” rhetoric, it just happened. Everything is still in front of us including 4 home games.

I’m not a Chuck apologist. I’m one of the few people still blocked by him on Elon’s toilet site.

3 Likes

He’s a Steelers fan! Wish he could play wr!

That explains the loss.

2 Likes