Play Clock

Why was the play clock for the KSU game not working? Do we not have a back up system.Martin made a good point in his presser about how this malfunction made it difficult for AV to manage time at the end of the game. I recall that we have had other game day operational issues in the past. Who is in charge of game day/stadium ops?

1 Like

Not only was the play clock not working but the scoreboard often had the wrong down and distance

My kids high school team has portable play clocks. I would think somebody could have drove to Talawanda to get them if they needed.

They did frequently show the game stats so that was good but I continue to be amazed that they have no way of showing other scores. We did that 30 years ago. We have done that with this scoreboard before. My kids high school announces other scores at half time of their games.

My final rant. Almost every time out is some donor or teacher being recognized. We certainly need donors but it would maybe be great to recognize them all at one time out.

4 Likes

Obviously, the agenda of the University centers around things other than football…which is a shame as the game flow often pays the price.

And, speaking of game flow, the issues with the play clock, down and distance data wrong at times and the inability to show other scores is just another reason why Miami belongs in the MAC…I’ve heard from Cincinnati-area friends that their high schools are better able to do these things right than Miami…so effin sad.

3 Likes

Does anyone on the board think anyone of any authority ever monitors discussions on the board? Just curious…

That play clock issue could have easily cost us the game. It affected us more more than Kent because they snap early. But I’m certain someone got an earful from CM afterward.

3 Likes

And it will go nowhere…as usual. All of the “electronics” should have been checked out the day before the game…and fixes made then as opposed to: “Surprise, surprise, the play clock isn’t working today and the scoreboard (or its operator) can’t get the down and distance data to work (or know how to show it properly).”

Who’s in charge?

4 Likes

I would hope and think that Chuck/other FB staffers are going into Saylor’s office this week telling him this needs to be fixed asap. Unacceptable

1 Like

Not having a functioning play clock is a serious issue. Complaints about not announcing/posting scores of other games on the scoreboard seems a little antiquated given that nearly everyone has a cell phone with the ESPN app.

2 Likes

Yep. I love the CBS College Football scores website. Everything up to date and at your fingertips. And you can even watch other games on the ESPN app if that’s your thing. No need to rely on score updates from the in stadium board or PA announcer.

1 Like

But were the cold beverages sufficiently carbonated?

1 Like

Bash, I’m a lot antiquated. I do use my phone to check scores but still think it would be great to still roll scores across the board at certain times.

2 Likes

I’d like to permanently disconnect the button that plays about 5-15 seconds into of music while Miami is getting the play called in. You’re screwing up your team if they can’t hear what’s being called.

This isn’t hockey, damn it. You want to play music between offensive plays, go to Goggin and push those buttons. Otherwise, don’t press the music buttons when either offense or defense is in the field and is getting set.

4 Likes

At least they aren’t still playing “Jump Around”.

Are they?

I agree entirely. What a stupid and I really mean stupid thing to do. Play clock not working, down and distance screwed up, noise at the wrong times, these are all serious issues. Someone else said it, but I will repeat it, I have been to multiple high school games in two states and all were better run than Miami’s.

4 Likes

yes…filling the new battle of the bricks trophy chalice, sitting atop the golden podium…

Get off my lawn, scoreboard operator!

1 Like

They are. IMO one of the dumbest decisions the athletic department made was to change when it’s played during hockey games. It used to be during the final media timeout. That was perfect. Got the student section moving for the final few minutes of hockey and really added some juice into the arena. Nothing like screwing with what works instead of fixing what’s broken.

But yes, Jump Around is one of 5 songs they play at Yager.

When is Jump Around played now during the hockey game?

Some time during the second period now iirc

Probably because the last few years no students remained into the third…

For the opener, it was sometime in the 3rd. I have a picture of my daughter with the scoreboard showing 3:24 remaining in the 3rd, and a video of her during the jump around that was from 11 minutes earlier (I didn’t get the game clock in that one).