Play Clock

Don’t we use hand signals and those goofy signs?

To sign the plays in, yes, but when I’m the huddle and at the line of scrimmage to make adjustments or audibles, yelling it’d be challenging.

1 Like

Was at UC last year at Nippert and they’re playing music all the time. Miami section was right under the speakers and let me tell you, their sound system works really well. About had a head ache from the noise. Was watching few minutes of a prime time game Saturday night and they’re playing between plays too. Don’t remember who other than it was two P5 teams. It’s the way of the world these days I guess.

With the game clocks I thought maybe they were not visible unless you were looking more directly at them. That can be an issue with some older LED signs. Further you get to the sides the less they’re visible.

The scoreboard down/distance was pathetic, always late and sometimes wrong even when putting in data (late) from previous play.The down marker is LED and not too bright. Looking across the field with the glare it was sometimes unreadable.

Yep, but the players still then communicate with each other. Besides, those of us of a certain age actually converse with each other between plays. Conversation other than text messaging I mean. Turn the darn volume down. There are only a couple of people in the stands anyhow.

It doesn’t impact the players. Go to a tennis match if you want quiet. It’s D1 football. The lack of game day atmosphere or a desire for one is wild

Some of the dinosaur takes here are amazing.

3 Likes

It certainly does occasionally impact the players. We live on the edge. A few missed calls can really hurt us. Game day atmosphere? Don’t hush the band. They were the best part of several games. If you have to resort to canned music to provide atmosphere that’s a sad thing.

1 Like

At lots of HBCU games their high powered bands play incessantly into a microphone - even during the plays. Reminds me of a Japanese baseball game with constant horns blowing and drums beating.

But how would the players ever get the play call? I thought anything louder than a golf clap would shut down the offense?

@skin66 want to tell me a college football venue that doesn’t play music between plays?

Bring back the old Miami Field clock (that’s in the college football hall of fame) - it was reliable and our football teams were dominant during that era

1 Like

@southerskin I was at the Hall in Atlanta for the Chic-Fil-A classic in 2017 and asked about the old Miami clock. The docent didn’t know but said he’d have someone contact me. I got an email a few weeks later from the Hall and they said they no longer have any idea what happened to the clock…

1 Like

Crowds cheering, bands playing, fans harassing the opponents those are great things. Canned music is sad. Yes, the plays get in by cards and signs but verbal signals are still used on the field. Maybe that’s why we take so many timeouts😊. I never said I want silence. Just don’t want that canned cacophony between plays. Certainly others may do it, but I thought perhaps being Miami peer pressure wouldn’t work on us. Guess I was wrong. Actually two separate thoughts 1) noise 2) types of noise.

Seems like much ado about nothing. I went back and watched a little of the replay and any time I heard music played while we had the ball it stopped as soon as the huddle broke. If it were an issue at all Chuck would surely let someone know.
Maybe we can get them to mix in some Greensleeves for the conversationalists. Do the Campus Owls have any recordings they could play?

Good to know, I misunderstood the amount of time. Canned music still sucks. If I were the band director I would be insulted.

I think the Campus Owls predate even many of us dinosaurs on this board.

If the band played anything other than iron man and the swoop song over and over between plays, maybe they’d have a reason to be insulted

We need something very annoying to play - like Florida State’s tomahawk tune or - better yet - USC’s Conquest. As a Washington Husky grad student I absolutely hated that song!

Boomer Sooner is pretty annoying.

3 Likes

Absolutely! And so is North Carolina’s fight song.

The Scalp Song obviously annoys some people.

1 Like