PAC 12 rebuilding?

https://x.com/rossdellenger/status/1834073091858743417?s=46&t=ZH1fFGwu8Q0191V3SgsUtQ

2 Likes

Could be the catalyst that makes someone available for the MAC to grab #14.

1 Like

Good for them.

1 Like

Surely they are negotiating/ targeting several more schools. It’s not over but certainly a significant first step. My guess is they go after a block of slightly more eastern schools (AAC maybe). Then it all hits the fan.

From the CSU AD:

Rams,

I am writing to inform you that just moment’s ago, we announced that Colorado State University along with Boise State, San Diego State and Fresno State have accepted an invitation to join Oregon State and Washington State in the Pac-12 conference.
Full Announcement
This is a historic day for Colorado State that will have far reaching impacts for our future in college athletics. The acceptance of this invitation to join and rebuild the Pac-12 membership is a catalyst for our vision of being the most watched, most loved and most innovative program in the West.

Thank you in advance for your continued support of Colorado State Athletics!

Go Rams!!

John Weber

Director of Athletics

Unfortunately I think this will ultimately result in the current G5 conferences “auto bid” being left out of the new 12 team playoff, but it will take some time

2 Likes

I’m a little surprised UNLV and Utah State aren’t included. I’m betting Fresno quashed any chance San Jose State had of getting in.

1 Like

The fact that SJSU isn’t in suggests to me that they’re going to make a play to bring Cal and Stanford back.

3 Likes

Cal and Stanford? Interesting suggestion.

Read today that both are locked into the ACC Grant of Rights agreement until 2036…

Boise and Fresno killed that with their academics.
I predict they offer Wyoming Hawaii and UNLV. Those schools offer instant credibility for a number of reasons. I could see Utah State as well.

I’d agree with UNLV but will be surprised if they don’t go to Memphis, Tulane and another team in TX (Rice, UTSA or TX St) - although I really don’t see a gain for them vs AAC. Gets CST for TV and decent markets/programs. I’m afraid Wyoming (pop) and Hawaii don’t move the needle for TV negotiations. They’ll make a hard sell to CAL and Stanford, but I think those are major long shots (would have to throw a LOT of $ at them).

1 Like

I agree with Dellenger on Yahoo that they’ll try to get South Florida.

https://x.com/sirandys/status/1834351006362337626?s=46&t=ZH1fFGwu8Q0191V3SgsUtQ

This is a MAC level (or worse) conference education wise

I am thinking Oxford and Cambridge. The academics are outstanding and they will be able to tap into the greater London TV market.

4 Likes

If we’ve got Pacific teams in the ACC you might as well have Atlantic (technically gulf) teams in the Pac-12.

1 Like

I do not think education was a considered factor, or is a considered factor when forming athletic conferences.

“What is this education thingy of which you speak?” typical current college AD.

2 Likes

Academics don’t matter, but cultural and institutional fit do. Cal and Stanford wouldn’t be caught dead joining a conference where the likes of Fresno or Boise are peers.

3 Likes

https://x.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/1838288674972450998?s=46&t=ZH1fFGwu8Q0191V3SgsUtQ

It’s starting to look like a merger between most of the Mountain West and the PAC 2. I read the Mountain West is offering its remaining teams a financial incentive to stay in the MWC.

I wonder if Toledo or NIU are interested?

1 Like