Northwestern tickets

Can everyone pool money together and dock a big boat on the shore of the “stadium”?

4 Likes

Red and White Higgins Boats! Love it!

I do think we need to air drop Spanks, muhawk, Jivehawk, and Alex in the early hours of August 31st to secure a beachhead for the amphibious assault landing later that day.

1 Like

You are correct that we beat Va Tech who was 12th ranked. But I totally disagree that it got a lot of coverage. It got virtually no coverage. That was before every game was on tv and I barely remember ever seeing any highlights. That is sort of my point- a win over ND on NBC would have been bigger than App state over michigan in my opinion

1 Like

I could walk right in and unlock the doors for them. Nobody would expect an old dude like me to be part of such an operation. Perhaps it would be better if I hid my Redskin hat until the action commences though.

3 Likes

Guess we will have to agree to disagree on the VT coverage. I agree there weren’t a ton of highlights, but I recall seeing Travis Prentice’s touchdown on the Hootenanny play multiple times that Saturday.

If any of you want to go to this game, Duke has put its allotment on sale. They are a whopping $91.

From the Duke talk board today. Somebody is behind the time in Oxford, perhaps.

we need to secure The damn Delta Queen, rename it The Delta Hawk, and sail that thing from the Ohio River, up to Lake Erie and then over to Lake Michigan where we can put thousands of fans onboard. I have no idea if the river allows for such travel or if the oxbows, alluvium and other Riparian miscellany make this a non starter, but it’s worth a try.

I’m all for the invasion, but as I said above, why does Duke have their ticket allotment and we don’t know our status yet. By we I mean the fans. $91 a ticket! Are we negotiating w them or is there no one working in our tickets office in July?

If the Ohio and Erie or the Miami and Erie canals were still in operation you might be on to something, but they’re not, so I have no idea how you would get a boat like the Delta Queen from the Ohio River to Lake Erie.

You do however get points for using such fluvial terms as “oxbows” and “alluvium”.

2 Likes

Just a guess, but I’m thinking Duke doesn’t bring nearly the number of fans to Evanston that Miami would bring. Right now Northwestern is crapping their pants realizing that our contractual allotment of tickets will comprise at least 1/3 of their shitty temporary stadium.

2 Likes

In the past few years we have had friends take their water craft 1) down the Ohio/ Mississippi waterways to the gulf, up the inland waters to the Hudson, through the canal systems and eventually to Lake Michigan. Too long, needed to start a year ago. 2) a few weeks ago another couple left Catawba and are now in Lake Michigan That is a viable alternative. We could cruise by our son’s home on Lake St Clair. Get your eye patches out, we sail at dawn.

3 Likes

Just checked the NWern website for tickets. For our game, the available tickets are priced from $211 to $460. Obviously, limited numbers available. If they are going to charge those prices, our 5000 should be worth $1,050,000 to $2.3M. Suddenly, the value to us of selling back some of our allotment increased dramatically. Should we be generous and take much less for, say, 2,500 tickets? Hell, no! If they say they won’t schedule us again, fine. They made this mess. It is still an absolute mess!
Noticed that they play a week before our game. Not a good thing. Most coaches feel that the greatest improvement is from game one to game two. Yea, maybe. But we will still kick their asses up and down their HS “stadium”.

2 Likes

We are the first game of the season for Northwestern.

Yup. I thought so. But looking at their site, they list the game at Michigan first. I just failed to see that it was much later in the season. Sorry

1 Like

I was there, and made the drive back to Ox to party with our boys that night! We may or may not have left someone to find their own ride back to Oxford so we could leave earlier than planned. It was a very big deal, and I recall there was a lot of school pride both from students and locals after the W.
I may have been a bit more invested as most of my high school peers were attending VT. Also, Randy Walker said their band hits harder than their team did, lol. (their band encroached on his postgame interview, it was fabulous!)

2 Likes

Don’t forget about me!!!

Where does your son live? I grew up on that lake.

I was in Baltimore for back to back meetings the week before the Army game in 1997 and had a layover weekend there. So I drove up to West Point and watched us slaughter the Black Knights.

The following Monday I found myself riding the elevator in the Lord Baltimore Hotel with three guys sporting VT gear. I asked them who they thought would win the Miami game the next weekend. One of them looked at me like I was stupid and said “We don’t play Miami until November.”

I just nodded and smiled. I knew we had ‘em.

1 Like

Grosse Pointe