Next Up-Stetson

The rule is that players can redshirt as long as they play 25% or fewer of their team’s games. Etzler redshirted two seasons ago despite playing a couple games at the start of the season. We should be able to play Avance and Tatum in the three D3 games and it would only become an issue if we have to give either of them emergency minutes in 5+ other games this season.

That is true, and I was aware of the NCAA regs. Matter of fact, I have them bookmarked on my office computer! But there may be other factors coming into play. I guess I wasn’t sufficiently clear and for that I apologize.

I assume Tatum is pegged as the reserve, he dresses, Avance definitely RS.

A few team stats to watch as the season progresses:

Free Throw Shooting - 81% (26th in D1)
Turnovers Per Game - 8.33 (10th)
Offensive Rebounds Allowed Per Game - 8

We were really good in these areas last year too, but have improved so far this year. This indicates a veteran and well-coached team that could win a lot of the close games.

6 Likes

The redshirt rule quoted by Quinoa is for football. The NCAA was talking about changing the basketball redshirt rule to mirror the football rule this year, but I don’t think that got done. If I am correct, a basketball player may not participate in any regular season or post-season game and still redshirt. That would include the Defiance and Heidelberg games. Obviously, there is a little more leeway for playing time if claiming a medical redshirt.

1 Like

2021 Ramblin’ Wreck Challenge Champs!

2 Likes