New Miami Arena Rumor

Jive, are you really suggesting that folks who don’t like this location are egotistical? Quite a conclusion to reach based simply on a different preference.

1 Like

Phillips Hall is the home of the Kinesiology, Nutrion and Health department. It houses classrooms and labs for that deparment.

The old pool space today is the home of the art center for the college of creative arts.

The gym spaces and raquetball courts are available for recreational and intramrual game play and the courts are often booked in the evening and weekends for youth volleyball and basketball leagues and tournaments.

All of this could obviously be relocated and a lot it possible rolled into a new atheltic facility but to say that there is very little going on in Phillips could not be further from the truth.

4 Likes

Yes, if it has open spaces in the evenings or weekends when we play the games. I have never parked there so did not know it was as large as the hockey garage, plus there is parking next to the basketball field and Cook field. All would be quite close.

2 Likes

I was told they were confident that they could get the additional funding needed through various sources, a couple of which you mentioned.

1 Like

I don’t believe the green space next to the Phi Delt gates is sacred or otherwise environmentally significant like a national park. I do think it is culturally significant but that development in the space would be fine if done in a thoughtful manner. Just plopping down an arena in that space would be intrusive. If you want to put an academic building there, fine. But an arena would draw large crowds and people to a space that has been reserved for academics and quiet and is probably not consistent with what should be the priorities of the university

3 Likes

Not really objecting to that site or Cooke field, both would be better than what we currently have, but I do love the idea of it being close to uptown and an easy walk for most students. There is also a large group of students living in fraternities, houses, and apartments very close to this site. Just the idea that students are constantly walking by this site and both students and townies are constantly driving by this locations puts it so much more in the minds of everyone compared to sites which are far from the normal walking and driving traffic patterns. It screams Miami thinks basketball is important.

Right behind it, just a short little walk away, is a nice, brand new, 96 million dollar facility that houses nursing, audiology etc. Seems to me kinesiology would fit in nicely there. As for CCA, I am sure they could relocate the Art Center closer to the rest of CCA.

1 Like

As a health based program sure they seem similar in nature but what about the nursing and audiology programs that are already using that space? Or do you believe it too is just sitting empty? The lab space in Phillips alone is over 22,000 sq ft.

If you are going to displace those programs out of Phillips to build an arena the better option would be to incorporate them into the new arena and possibly get some state funding out of the deal.

1 Like

And that is precisely my number one reason for being skeptical (the second being the environmental/campus impact). Naming a building at Miami costs about 20 million dollars, and I don’t believe one can build a decent arena today for just 20M. Miami would likely issue bonds to cover the rest, but we’re talking about tens of millions more. If that were to happen, the Financial Oversight Committee would be aware of it and spread the word quickly.

We’ve had a number of similar rumors in the past. I hope we secure the funding and build a new arena (in a different location, though), but given the current animosity between the faculty and administration, this is the worst time to try to get it done.

2 Likes

Volleyball would likely be a part of it. Perhaps tack on some classrooms/dorm rooms as well for funding access.

Have shovel, will travel

2 Likes

Not interfering with Slant Walk was also a question I asked and they said that this would not effect Slant Walk ( keeping that was a priority). I think even Harry Thobe would be in favor of this.

As for Professors in general being against this, I think they are being very short sighted. Getting students to buy into Miami athletes is very important to future generation of Alumnae support and love and pride in our University. It all ties in. Back when the athletic facilities were a direct part of the University, I believe buy in and support and pride were much greater.

3 Likes

Feel free to address the Faculty Alliance of Miami who recently had a march of sorts across campus, as they negotiate for a new contract. Donors are going to have to come up with much more than 1/3 of the cost, unless you want a faculty revolt. I am not taking sides here, just showing some of the obstacles.

1 Like

As a person who spent 25 of my 35 teaching years negotiating contracts with the school board ( 10 of which I was the only teacher allowed to speak) I do identify with the struggle for wages, but you have to understand the entire picture. I do believe that showing the importance of basketball and creating more interest has strong carryover value and is in the longterm interest of Miami faculty.

This is 100% what I am talking about. Remember folks: We (faculty) don’t have a contract. How do you think faculty will react when Miami announces a new Basketball arena, but not raising salaries since 2022? Optics…

Edit: for those around, go to Roudebush at noon on Friday, and you will see what I am saying here.

5 Likes

If Slant Walk could be preserved an provide an “entry point” to the new arena, it would be a cool idea. That’s what designers and architects need to do to preserve Miami’s tradition while utilizing it as a stepping stone into the future.

Do It.

2 Likes

Do Brussels sprouts really count as food?

Not that night for sure!

Apparently chefs are now doing some magic to make them edible and tasty (according to those I dine with).

Back in the 80’s, all I know is that they stuck to the ceiling of the dining hall.

1 Like

Agreed Remanco. The new Goggin isn’t an eyesore of a mega stadium. It fits its surroundings. The architects did a nice job. There are ways to build a small stadium within campus that preserves the look and feel. Parking could be problematic. Cook seems like the most logical place, but interesting to brainstorm possibilities.

2 Likes