N Dakota in Oxford at Goggin Fri and Sat.1/27,1/28/23

Feels worse than the numbers

Here’s the grim final. Stats got even worse the final three minutes. Two goals in the past 18 periods. This is terrible!

1 Like

I mean if we are calling for Chuck Martin’s head every fall even though his teams are usually competitive, what’s the excuse for the lack of a similar uprising against Coach B? I’ve seen quite enough. His players cannot be this bad.

2 Likes

This isn’t a fluke or rebuilding. This is 8 straight years with two different coaches leading to the same result. It’s something systemic in the program and its ability to compete. We are the Washington Generals of the NCHC. Just to put things in perspective, had we swept the 7th place team this weekend, we still would’ve been in last place.

2 Likes

Arent we last place by 13 points now?

1. We went into the weekend down 8.

I am starting to wonder why the architect of all this athletic success isn’t on the hot seat. Brad Bates’ numbers actually looked better by comparison.

2 Likes

:face_vomiting:

I’m glad I’m working all weekend and couldn’t watch the disaster this team has become.

1 Like

Maybe the answer is to try a radically different style of play. Something we haven’t been doing that teams can’t prepare for. At this point, what’s the risk?

Like trying, being aggressive. Etc. this team clearly doesn’t have it in them for a prolonged period. There was a moment at the end of the first today but it faded quickly.

1 Like

The Big Mac?

I don’t know enough about hockey to offer specifics so bear with me, but to me, it would be less about the effort (I’m gonna assume these guys want to win) and more about the rote sets that are run. There are loads of ways to win (and lose). Would be curious as to true experts here think. I’m thinking about summoning The Lurker again.

My understanding (not that I have any inside knowledge) is that Sayler’s very good with donors, and Miami’s the sort of place that needs an AD who’s very good with donors.

Because I get asked this a lot and not because I endorse it in any way (I got asked about the same thing 10 years when Rico was slipping), it appears to me Berge is under contract for two more full seasons (six total).

One-year buyout to terminate early, unless I read this wrong:

1 Like

Our thoughts on Saturday and the weekend here: Miami trounced by UND, drops 7th straight – View From the Glass

The hockey program is in a horrible spot now and what is clearly evident is that Coach Bergeron has failed completely in the mission he stated at the beginning. As we all should recall, when Berge took the job at Miami and gave that very emotional presser, he stated that it might be some time before we see great hockey again, but he would definitely build a team that is tough, relentless, and hard-working. Essentially, he made it clear that his team would reflect his personality - and if Berge is anything, he is a fighter and an intense competitor.

Last night after witnessing another complete debacle in person, I pulled up the presser (last night’s, not his original from 4 yrs ago) and Coach stated that his team quit competing after the 2nd goal early in the period 2. He publicly admitted that his team quit on him and the fans yet again. He said it was on him to fix that and what was worse is that his voice had no edge - he was soft spoken and almost passive in his delivery. Now, we all should look back to that original presser when he was hired and think about that. In year 4, did we expect that this coach with all his MU pride and emotion, would have his team quit in year 4? That is clearly what it looked like last night and in other games recently.

Where does a coach and program go in year 4 of a rebuild when the team quits frequently on the coach. I think Coach Bergeron is great and I know this is killing him. Something is fundamentally broken with this hockey program - there is simply nowhere to go when the team and even Berge seem to be in a daze.

He took over a BG hockey program that had just narrowly avoided a board vote to shut it down. Many people here thought it was a mistake for him to even take that dumpster fire over. Well, Berge took that on and by year 6 had a competitive and successful team by many measures. In year 4 at Miami, I only see bad hockey and the fire doesn’t seem to be burning inside - for the team or even for the coach at this point.

2 Likes

Like maybe the Rumson Rack?

1 Like

Great post. I watched last night’s presser, too. We witnessed something we seldom have seen from a Miami team in any sport - an in-game quit. I can only remember personally witnessing two quits - both long ago in football - a 33-0 whipping in the rain at old decrepit Nippert in 1970 - my senior year - and another unexpected beatdown in the rain at BG a couple years later.

I’m pretty sure folks who watched more of Treadwell’s games than I did saw some quits, too - probably the games at Colorado and Illinois - but Miami’s tradition has largely been to fight it out until the bitter end.

We didn’t see that last night and Berg was man enough to admit it. Based on what I’ve mentioned earlier on another post, there are tons of obvious deficiencies with this current club. After last night, sadly, we can add a lack of heart to that list. .

1 Like

Yep, the football game at Colorado was the worst “quit “ I have ever seen by a Miami team but now this hockey group is threatening to top that.

1 Like

There was one highlight for Miami on the ice yesterday. Miami’s women’s programs - sync skating, field hockey and softball - are the campus leaders in athletics nowadays.

3 Likes