Monitoring the Miami Transfer Portal

Miami stays hot in the transfer portal. Picks up a commit from Indiana transfer Miles Marshall. 6’4 215 WR who I believe has two years left.

3 Likes

Looks like a very good pick-up! Caught a lot of balls in his three years at IU. #5 is excited about it!

1 Like

What about guard? Lost the starting guard to gradation, allows everyone to stay where they were last year.

Shaffer and Redding are both returning

More competition and more depth on the OL - both positives.

Shaffer is, not sure about Redding

This is a great pick up. I like IU’s recent success (barring last year) so you would imagine these kids are well coached coming in.

2 Likes

The transfer portal taketh and giveth. Glad we’re working it hard, especially on the lines.

2 Likes

Miami WR James Burns has entered the transfer portal. Not surprised. After a great freshman season, he’s taken a step back and passed over on the depth chart. Guessing the addition of Marshall sealed it.

App State “Maye” offer since they offered out of hs.

1 Like

He’s a Charlotte kid. Wouldn’t be surprised if App State or Charlotte offered. Possible close-by FCS opportunities at Wofford and Furman, too. Great speed but seemed to lose his confidence in catching the ball in 2020. Apparently had to deal with some injuries this season. Nice young man. Met him in Mobile at the banquet. Wishing him good luck.

Miami gets more WR help. 6’6 220 Tre’von Morgan from UK. Started his college career at MSU after playing his high school football at Massillon in Ohio.

3 Likes

Morgan was a pretty highly touted recruit coming out of high school with numerous P5 offers. Redshirted his first season at MSU and then played sparingly in the Covid season of 2020. Transferred to UK for the 2021 season, but it doesn’t appear that he logged any playing time. Not sure if that was due to injury or just depth in front on him. Either way, glad to have him in Oxford. Guessing he has 3 years of eligible left to show what he can do.

All of the portal activity is really fast and furious…Just joking, but Miami will have really turned its roster over by next year, especially among backups…but it looks like, net-net, Miami has added more than it has lost. Pace looked to be the biggest loss but understandable that he wants to play with his brother.

2 Likes

Re Morgan…

“Ranked as the No. 1 wide receiver in the state of Ohio by Rivals and ESPN coming out of Massillon Washington High School in 2018”

“Named the North Offensive Player of the Game after snagging five catches for 93 yards and a touchdown in the annual Ohio North-South All-Star Classic on April 27, 2018”

2 Likes

Miami adds another Former MSU Spartan. 6’1 215 Safety/OLB Michael Dowell. 3 year letter winner at MSU. Should have two years left

2 Likes

Morgan, Johnson, Dowell, Suttle, and Wise were all officially announced via the football twitter account today. I believe all 5 are on campus and will participate in spring practice. No mention of Brekke or Marshall so far, so not sure if that means something or not. Might just be a matter of timing.

I think Dowell’s going to be a great get. He had a lot of playing time at MSU and was originally committed to Pitt before finally signing with Miami. Seems like Wise will slide in for Pace and Dowell will slide in for Weatherford or Brown. And we had solid play from the talent that came in out of high school for everything else.

2 Likes

I’m also thinking that means Johnson will play corner at Miami. So we could be potentially be looking at a starting secondary of:

CB - Saunders, Johnson (maybe Mundy too)
S - Singleton, Dowell
Nickel - Warren

The wild card to me is Matt Salopek. I thought he did a nice job sliding down to play LB when McWood got hurt. Do you keep him in role or move him back to safety and let him compete for a spot with those guys.

Any update on what’s happening with Rico? Perhaps should have stayed at State, though some questioned his upside.