Monitoring other games Week 6 - Bowling Green Week

Just as comical was the receiver getting behind 3-4 defenders.

2 Likes

Check out the :wastebasket: Canes fans throwing stuff at the Tech player in the end zone.

Classless U fans. You can take the Canes and their fans out of the 80s but you can’t take the 80s out of the Canes and their fans.

Except for concepts of never losing and creating an intimidating home environment, obviously.

3 Likes

Arizona and USC are heading to OT at the moment. Arizona missed a 50-yard FG attempt (by a lot) with about a 2 minutes left. And then USC just botched a snap on what should have been a chip shot FG to win it as time expired. These are Pac-12 schools and the special teams just look like hot garbage.

All hail Miami’s special teams.

3 Likes

PAC 12 After Dark was a classic. USC 43 Arizona 41 in 3 OT.

1 Like

While noting Wyoming’s 24-19 win over previously undefeated Fresno State, it reminded me that some prognosticators have us playing Wyoming in the Boise Bowl.

Fresno still has to play Boise later this season…

As for other G5 contenders for NY6 bowls, Liberty, Air Force, and James Madison are still undefeated.

I don’t know what Wario said after the game to justify his stupidity but you know damn well they were running hoping to pop one so that the score didn’t look as pathetic as it would have. Good for karma.

1 Like

JMU isn’t eligible for a bowl yet, right? I think you have to wait until year 3 for some stupid reason.

1 Like

Bingo, it’s an outdated rule but it rules out JMU (and 5-1 Jacksonville State for what it’s worth).

Liberty may be undefeated but the C-USA is the worst conference this year, a one-loss MAC team would get in over them. But honestly the bid is the MWC’s to lose, unless a two or three-loss team sneaks into the championship game and pulls off an upset against Air Force or something.

The bottom half (or almost 2/3) of the MAC teams have lousy records…without looking again, IIRC the SunBelt for example has numerously more teams with .500 or better records.

You’ve got AAC and Mountain West teams to consider as noted above…a one loss team there would likely ace our a one loss MAC team.

Reminded me of the NY Giants debacle years ago that got a head coach fired. How BG ever beat GT will remain a mystery for the ages.

BG under Loefler has been such a weird program. Able to pull off some upsets like GT (or Toledo a few years ago) but then lays an egg and looks terrible against MAC teams the following week. Like in 2021, when they beat Minnesota the same season when we lost to UM, yet late that year we wrecked BG for more circular fun.

1 Like

And they beat Marshall last year the week after the Herd beat Notre Dame. Inconsistency is abundant in Falconland.

What I saw is the RB had 99 yards, and Cristobal called a run so he could have his first 100 yard game.

1 Like

The kid was crying his eyes out on the sidelines afterwards. It’s a shame. It was ruled a fumble on the field. No good angle to overturn it on review. To me it looked like down by contact. GT played extremely well and got an absolute gift at the end.

2 Likes

Mario Cristobal made the same stupid mistake of not taking a knee to run out the clock against Stanford when he was at Oregon and that play also led to a Miracle win by the opposition. All I can say is that people have different mental abilities and also different weaknesses. It looks Cristobal might have trouble quickly calculating clock situations. He had a pretty successful run at Oregon and it looks like he is bringing Miami F back.

It reminds me of our own Coach forgetting to tell the official TO vs UC and it leading to a Miracle win for UC. He has been very careful to park himself right next to the official to make the call and it has not happened again…Several times when Chuck gets on a role in an interview he has thrown in there that he is ADD. Attention Deficit Deficiency. Which kind of explains to me how it happened. At least he has corrected the situation and it has not happened again. Cristobal has not.

Both also seem to be good football men doing a good job at their university. For people that have a minor mental handicap of some sort, it shows that you can overcome that and be successful. The best thing Cristobal can do is apologize to the team and to the fans and promise to do better next time.

1 Like

Looks like a possible emerging good news trend…fans seem to be returning to stadiums.

1 Like

19,047 in the stands Saturday. Says max @ 24K.

Sitting on the 50 seems like there were a lot more than 5000 unused seats. Maybe it’s paid attendance and not actual butts in the seats. Student section alone could have had another 3000+ to fill it up. There were more students there Saturday than I’ve seen in a long while but still ways to go. In parking lot there was big frat/sorority event. Long row of tents and frats set up and busy. Get the W next week and hopefully Toledo will draw more out of their dorms and uptown bars.

1 Like

According to the box score, last year vs. WMU we had 21,618…not sure how that actually compared to Saturday’s 19k as I wasn’t at either, but maybe someone who was at both can opine.

Depending on gametime and weather for Toledo I would like to see at least 18k for our last Saturday home game

1 Like

I believe last year’s 21,000 for WMU and yesterday’s 19,000 looked and felt similar. This year the home stands seemed more crowded while last year the student section had more people.

4 Likes