MLB Playoffs

So this has changed a lot over the years, this is how it is now:
6 teams in each league make the Playoffs, that would be the 3 divisional champions and 3 wildcards. As of this morning the NL was down to 7 teams, with 3 teams ( Braves, Mets, and DBacks) still fighting for the last two playoff spots. The Dodgers have a two game lead over the Padres for the division championship. The loser becomes the #4 seed.

As of this morning the AL has 10 teams still alive, 7 teams are still fighting for wildcard spots, although Baltimore is in but they do not yet know which wild card spot they will get. The other contestants are KC, Detroit, Minnesota, Seattle, Boston, and Tampa Bay ( at 78-79)

Teams in each league are seeded 1-6 and teams 1 and 2 get a first round bye. In the AL that will be NYY and Cleveland, although which is #1 and Who is #2 is still to be finalized.

After playing 5 weeks of exhibition games in the Spring and 162 regular season games it is possible to paly another 22 games in the Playoffs. While the teams barely over .500 fighting for the last playoff spots may seem not worth paying attention too, I would point out that the last two teams to get in last year Texas over Arizona) played for the World Championship. Arizona finished just a win or 2 above our Reds .

Round one ( Wild Card Series) is best of 3, Round 2 (Division Series) is best of 5, Round 3 ( League Championship Series) is best of 7 games, and Round 4 ( World Series) is still best of 7 games.

Yankees lead the Guardians by 1.5 games as of this morning and the Yankees have the tiebreaker. If the two teams meet it would be in Round 3 and the #1 seed would have the home field advantage. As I write this the Guardians are ahead and the Yankees behind tonight.

I miss the 4-team playoff format with division champs and just one wild card, there’s too many mediocre teams that make the playoffs in the current setup.

3 Likes

Braves-Mets are in a horrible spot with their two games today and tomorrow postponed having to play a double header in Atlanta on the Monday after the regular season/before the postseason and then having to fly to likely either San Diego or Los Angeles to play in the wild card series the next day

I think the number of teams is just about right. Without the current system the Mets who have one of the best records in baseball since June 1 would be out. As a fan of the game I want to see what they can do in the post season not be sitting at home.
Of the teams currently in for 2024 the worst record is 10 games over .500 and 2022 was the same. Last year had a pair of teams (Arizona, Miami) at just 4 games over.

Tampa Bay and Boston were eliminated yesterday.

Dodgers clinch. GM Andrew Friedman:

(States in Phil Castellini)

I am very sorry that MLB changed their playoff format. Having the two wild cards play a single game for admission to the post season was inspired.

It reinforced the importance of of the regular season and pennant races by making it punative to come in second in your division. It gave another team a chance at the post season and it created instant drama(tv fodder) with a win or go home game.

So a lot has been decided in the last few days, but still more to come.

1. NL Dodgers clinched division

2. Dodgers and Phillies still fighting to be #1 or #2 seed

3. Padres in as Wildcard, but #4 seed not yet clinched

4. Braves, Mets, and D’Backs still fighting for #5 and #6 seeds, one will be eliminated. Braves and Mets got rained out two days in a row and now play a DH Monday which will probably decide the fate of all 3.

5. AL. #1 and #2 seed. Yankees have a one game lead plus the tiebreaker over the Guardians.

6. Seattle was eliminated yesterday.

7. Royals, Tigers, and Twins still fighting for the #5 and #6 seeds, but Twins are 3 games back of both with 3 games still to play.

What a crazy game this Braves-Mets game is

Mets trying to become the first team in history to clinch a playoff spot and get no-hit on the same day

Tigers!

1 Like

Royals too!! The mighty Central Division!

1 Like

Was at the Padres game tonight, amazing crowd

1 Like

Tigers!!

1 Like

TBT -

A Miami Connection: Charlie Liebrandt, Randy Stearnes and me on the field in the Kingdome back in the mid-80s. Steve Fireovid was in the Mariners Clubhouse but we couldn’t find him when the photographer was ready to take the pic.

7 Likes

Charlie’s son tossed a few innings for the Reds this year.

1 Like

Guardians shut out the Tigers 7-0.

Another brutal Cleveland sports moment.

And, one of the greatest Cleveland sports moments!

1 Like

Walk off home run in the bottom of the 10th for Cleveland!

1 Like