Miami to wear Blue for Homecoming

If there’s one thing I’ve learned over my years on MHT.com, is that every Hawk Talker fancies himself/herself to be a Richard Blackwell or Tim Gunn.

I’ve been told I look like Bea Arthur.

Minus the patch, I thought they looked sharp. I’ve always liked SMU’s kit and for one day, we pulled it off.

Undefeated in the blue Western College uniforms!

So, all you haters need to shut up, we’re rolling!

!

6 Likes

Our all-time winning percentage when wearing blue blows Michigan, Notre Dame, and Florida out of the water.

4 Likes

Who needs the Miami Redhawks/Redskins when we’ve got the undefeated Western Bluehawks?

Random question, but why did Western ultimately decide to merge with Miami? Guessing it was financial as more all-men’s colleges went coed after WWII but curious if anyone has specific insight.

2 Likes

The Western campus real estate.location,location……

Yes, Western’s merger with Miami was predominately a financial decision. Western had tried a variety of things to boost enrollment in the years prior - going co-ed, cross-curriculum w/ Miami - but just couldn’t make it work. Miami, on the other hand, needed more space/buildings and the merger solved that problem without having to build. Here’s a NYT article from 1973 that describes the situation Western faced: https://www.nytimes.com/1973/07/08/archives/private-ohio-college-to-be-taken-over-by-statesupported-school.html

3 Likes

Chuck proves in the first 90 seconds he doesn’t know anything about Western College or Miami’s history. Miami has enrolled women since 1885.

1 Like

Isn’t he right? Before 1902, Miami wasn’t coed so women could go to Western and not Miami. I didn’t interpret him as meaning it was the case up until Western closed.

2 Likes

UMASS beating NIU in DeKalb (13 x 7). I am starting to think this NIU team is not as solid as I thought after the NC State game. Hampton is not playing that well.

NIU decided to quit fooling around and ran for 367 yards as they ground up UMASS 34-20 after being down early due to turnovers.

1 Like