Miami Student Victim of Po Po Brutality

If it’s what I saw, it was a football player that was assaulted . Hopefully the policeman has been terminated.

You be the judge.

1 Like

Even if the student was resisting arrest, and it does appear he was, three punches to the face and then two knees to the kidneys by the police officer is completely unacceptable, and at least from this video, appears to me to be police misconduct.

5 Likes

Physical violence by anyone against anyone else that occurs anywhere, at any time is a disgusting act and always needs to be fully prosecuted…

1 Like

I don’t say this often, but I agree with Blues. :wink:

1 Like

1 Like

On the front page of cnn.com this morning

Brick Street released a follow-up yesterday.

https://www.instagram.com/brickstoxford/p/C1cn4_9uaM0/?img_index=1

Feels like everything leading up to the OPD officer’s involvement falls onto some poor choices by Johnson and then some poor police technique and choices by the officer took over.
How OPD leadership reviewed this without concern and even felt ok enough to poke fun at it in their weekly police beat is questionable.

1 Like

I guess I’m weird, i always want to hear both sides of a story. I would like to hear Devin’s side before we assume it was all his fault.

4 Likes

I don’t believe anyone is faulting Devin from the time Officer Matthew Blauvelt becomes involved to the end of the video.

3 Likes

Correct. He may have entered Brick Street illegally and assaulted security when asked to leave but the cop didn’t need to punch him as he lay on the ground.

4 Likes

What is the SOP for a single police officer to overcome resisting arrest?

1 Like

I think Brick Street laid all of the blame on Devin. I just want to hear both sides. Brick may be 100% correct. I just like to hear both sides. From what I understand, this would be out of character for Devin. However, we all have our moments.

My guess, and this is only speculation, the lengthy statement by Brick Street was based on their various cameras around the location, interviews, and then vetted by counsel. At least that is how my clients would proceed.

1 Like

The CNN article has a quote from his attorney which is fairly generic but denies pushing anyone in Brick. Honestly, that part of the story isn’t that important to me at least, I figure it will be adequately litigated in trial or a plea deal and it’s not unusual for brawls at college bars.

One part that’s confusing to me is that the story seems to be that the police initially didn’t have the video of the sidewalk, then once they saw that, they suspended the police officer. Doesn’t Oxford PD have body cams? I have a recollection of seeing body cam footage before in stories. It makes me wonder if the suspension is more about public perception.

1 Like

I’m sure a lot has to do with public perception

Ask politely and let the offender go if no positive response given.

1 Like

OPD does have body cams at least according to a two year old Hamilton Journal article that states they received state funding to cover their purchase.

Brick’s statement indicates that OPD was provided this footage so one would assume it was part of their investigation of what happened. The suspension and review of that investigation is 100% about public reaction to it.

You’re probably right. I’m sure there’s nothing in a cop’s training between doing nothing and sucker-punching a suspect multiple times.