Miami men at NIU Saturday at 4:30 ESPN3

I also thought the zone D was a difference maker in the second half.

I’m taking the credit for this victory! Clearly, we won because I spent the last 2 days in Oxford! :joy:

4 Likes

I was only able to watch the last 8 minutes of regulation and overtime so my comments will be limited to that time frame. Everyone deserves a lot of credit for staying with it, hanging around and taking advantage of the chance to get back in the game. Once the game went to overtime, I thought we had the momentum on our side and would get it, though we tried to give it away in the last 15 seconds, but we played good defense.

Offensively, we got the ball into the lane and got some easy 2s. Obviously, Mirambeaux’s shot was the big one and pretty lucky, but we took advantage of it. Defensively, the zone worked because NIU’s bigs were unwilling to shoot 8-10 footers in the lane. So we’ll take that as well. Down 20 with 9 minutes left and 14 at the under 8 timeout. Way to go guys. I hope the trip home is enjoyable!

2 Likes

I cant wait to watch the replay

1 Like
2 Likes

No doubt, but if he doesn’t take it, it doesn’t go in. He isn’t shy about shooting, but I saw too many Miami teams with players hesitant to take shots, so I won’t begrudge his offensive game.

1 Like

I think for a number of reasons, this is the game that will turn things around for us. We could have quit. We didn’t. This team we beat is maybe a little like us. Probably better than their record. I wonder if it’s the highest ranked team we’ve beaten this year. I bet it is.

1 Like

According to kenpom, NIU is the 2nd best team we’ve beaten. Buffalo is still the best, though that gap has narrowed quite a bit.

1 Like

Nice

I have been advocating on this site more zone for at least 8 weeks! Dick did not like my suggestion! We never have had the personnel to play man D esp without post players- if Anderson loses weight maybe he can play man D next year. In any event congrats on the win. Hopefully in the remaining games we can hit a high percentage of 3’s and play some effective zone and win some of those games. Finally however as I have been consistently saying this year we are essentially a D2 talent team trying to play a D1schedule.

1 Like

I do not agree this team is nothing but D2 talent. Does it need more talent? Yes. Are all the players D2 talent? Absolutely not.

5 Likes

One huge factor in this game was that David Coit, who has been their star and who led them to victory in Oxford, did not play today. He has been a deadly outside shooter and likely a first or second team all conference player. Earlier in the year they also lost another starting guard who was considered their star. They shot well early on, but basically just played their 5 starters and perhaps wore down late in the game. So probably our depth, even with Billy out, was better than theirs.

3 Likes

Those guys stepped up big time. And all the haters who continually dismiss Anderson, how does he keep getting high points and rebounds if he’s so “limited”. I’m gonna miss Lairy but we will have some quality, quality pieces returning. Stafford willed us to victory when it was not even on the table. Ryan played above his years. Lairy was a warrior. Lewis was solid. AM makes the shot that perhaps changes the trajectory of our season if we play well and get a little luck to move into 8. What a game.

2 Likes

My earlier post was not intended to mean all of our players are D 2 level players. Certainly 4/5 have D1 talent or potential at that level. My point was that I do not believe overall we have a D1 roster esp with no post players.As much as I enjoy watching AM he is not yet a post player on D or a strong enough rebounder. If he can get in better shape and lose some weight he could be a real force next year.

I commented on that during the game when we were down double digits. This in no way diminishes the accomplishment of yesterday, but it does have to be taken into consideration. But you play the team on the floor.

1 Like

To be fair Yellow, most of the criticism of Anderson concerns his defense, not his offense. And to be fair, his defense is a bit of a liability.

3 Likes

I lack the discerning eye others have but feel like he’s much improved his defense. And yes, he could be remarkable at 275-280. Tractor Trailer like. Either way, it’s Sunday morning, and both mens/womens teams won and hockey got a point. Not a bad weekend.

1 Like
4 Likes

I’ll bite. What is EGB?

Energy Generating Behavior

1 Like