Miami MBB 2024-25 Roster

You need to have at least 3 guys on your roster that are legitimate D-1 centers and at least 3 guys who are legitimate D-1 point guards. We have 4 point guards. We do not have 3 centers. We need to add 1 more. If we plan to play Kotecki some minutes at power forward, then adding another guy ( 4th big)who can play either the post or power forward would be advisable. The guys they are looking at seem like they could fit the bill. We might want 2 of them.

Because of injuries, illness, or academic issues ( which we have seen two years in a row) you need 3 guys at those spots. It is very hard to play without having a good point guard on the court at all times, same with having a legitimate big man.

The guard we got from Xavier will likely play some minutes at the small forward spot as he is 6-6 and looks like he can rebound. That would allow us to play 3 guards at the same time and even 4 guards in special situations like the press breaker at the end of a game or if we are pressing late in a game.

3 Likes

Brant Byers passes the eye test as a hybrid guard/small forward. He sure seems a legit 6-8 and I love that Steele smiles and calls him ā€œborderline dirtyā€.

5 Likes

April 9, 2024 Transfer Portal Movement:

OUT OF MIAMI: (G) 6-5 Ryan Mabry, (F) 6-8 Jaquel Morris, (G) 6-6 Julian Lewis

IN: (G) 6-6 Kam Craft (Xavier/3 years)

2024-25 Scholarship Players: 9

The following players exhaust eligibility or have transferred: (4)** :
(F) 6-8 Anderson Mirambeaux,
(G) 6-5 Darweshi Hunter,
(G) 6-5 Bryce Bultman
(G) 6-5 Morgan Safford

SR (1) : (G) 6-2 Bradley Dean

JR (0) :

SO (6): (G) 5-10 Evan Ipsaro, (F) 6-9 Jackson Kotecki, (G) 6ā€™ Mekhi Cooper, (F) 6-6 Eian Elmer, (C) 7ā€™ Reece Potter, (G) 6-6 Kam Craft

FR (2): (G) 6-2 Luke Skaljac, (F) Brant Byers 6-8

[4] Forwards/Bigs: Jackson Kotecki (6-9), Eian Elmer (6-6), Reese Potter (7ā€™), Brant Byers (6-8)

[5] Guards: Bradley Dean, Evan Ipsaro, Mekhi Cooper, Kam Kraft, Luke Skaljac

7-0 Reece Potter
6-9 Jackson Kotecki
6-8 Brant Byers
6-6 Eian Elmer
6-6 Kam Kraft
6-2 Bradley Dean
6-2 Luke Skaljac
6-0 Mekhi Cooper
5-10 Evan Ipsaro

2 Likes

Did I miss the Lewis news while waiting for my corneas to heal?

1 Like

Four scholarships to work with.

It would seem we could use some senior and junior maturity to round out the roster.

2 Likes

Why did Bryson Tatum leave? Is there a chance he could return?

2 Likes

Thereā€™s always a chance. Lookā€¦Will he return? No. But statistically speaking, itā€™s possible. And candidly, itā€™s an infinitely low possibility, but so too is me selling my Smokey And The Bandit screenplay (Smokey And the Bandit 4: Son of A Bandit). Yet I try.

Why did he leave in the first place?

Because he was realistically never going to get any playing time. The only reason he got playing time year 1 was to rebound and make hustle plays because thatā€™s what he did in practice. He was used to prove a point that Steele will put anyone in if they earn their playing time and the ā€œstarsā€ start slacking

2 Likes

Wow, thatā€™s crazy! I thought he was a solid contributor to Miami, primarily in intangibles. Was very surprised to see he was no longer with the team, as I (along with many other MHTers) thought he would be an impact-maker for MU. He will probably be along the lines of Dae Dae Green, yet another one who got away :frowning:

1 Like

I donā€™t want to diss him in any way as I loved how hard he worked. Truly a grinder and class act. Butā€¦problem is, any program on the rise keeps trading up every year. Every guard that came in was better talent wise after he showed up. Hard to keep a scholarship. Now, if heā€™d stayed a walk on, I think heā€™d have kept a spot on the roster. And prolly gotten in games like Eli. Actuallyā€¦thatā€™s his comparative. Eli is a tremendous student, great all-around athlete, and teammate but there are people more talented in front of him. Hence, no scholarship. Iā€™ve been there. Itā€™s no shame. Just how it goes as a team improves. Anyhow, he was a great contributor and I donā€™t know where he is but I hope he knows he was valued.

5 Likes

Tatum transferred to a D2 school and got to play in the garbage time for 5 games. 4.2 minutes per game and 0.8 pts per game. I donā€™t want to disparage a former Miami athlete, but thereā€™s nobody winning the MAC with him in a contributing role.

3 Likes

After reading through this thread to this point I was about to make a post which said exactly what LaxDaddy just said. Unless we want to have the youngest roster in the country, we need to add juniors and seniors with our 4 remaining scholarship. We do have 9 solid D-1 players, just need to fill in some gaps.

Actually he transferred to Pittsburg state and hasnā€™t done much at all

I assume you are joking. Dae Dae transferred to a harder league and got a decent NIL. Tatum only other offers were division 2 out of high school and he transferred to D2 after Miami. This is nothing like Dae Dae

4 Likes

I think youā€™re pretty much alone on this.

4 Likes

@RedSea and @Bash_Riprock

I thought Tatum turned down Ilinois-Urbana Champaign to play at Miami??? Was wondering why Owens didnā€™t play him moreā€¦

1 Like

No, heā€™s just from Urbana, Ill. He turned down an offer from D2 Minnesota-Duluth to walk-on at Miami. Then Owens gave him a scholarship right before he was fired and Steele honored it.

My bad.

5 open scholarships now

https://twitter.com/RivalsPortal/status/1779978789633618341