Miami MBB 2024-25 Roster

So far, here is the net/net of the incoming freshman vs. the outgoing transfers:

OUT: G Ryan Mabry ----- IN: G Luke Skaljac
OUT: F Jaquel Morris — IN: F Brant Byers

1 Like

What are the odds Potter stays?

The MBB never recovered from Charlie Coles cratering it. Maybe in the next few years Miami makes the NCAAs?

1 Like

I profoundly disagree with Carm’s comment that Coles"cratered the program". During the entirety of Coles tenure there were no investments in basketball and the college basketball landscape was changing dramatically to Miami and the MAC’s detriment.

Coles outstanding coaching hid those facts and they only became evident when he was no longer there.

5 Likes

What is Lewis"s situation?

2 Likes

Charlie stayed on too long, but he didn’t crater anything. An athletic department that refused to spend a dime on basketball, and instead funneled money out of basketball to pay for other sports, did that.

9 Likes

100% this. Yes, I would have liked to see him hang it up 2-3 seasons sooner than he did, but he did more for Miami basketball than anyone else did, or at least in my lifetime. He was (is?) the all-time leader in MAC wins. Three NCAA Tournament appearances and a third of our all-time tourney wins. We also made the NIT twice during his tenure. And while he didn’t recruit them, he coached two players to the NBA.

1 Like

And he proved he could coach before Miami - during his stint at Central Michigan. He had Thunder Dan up there.

1 Like

I think Bramos made a summer league team so maybe three? Does that count? Also Adaway made summer league recently. Not Charlie’s player. Was one of Owens. But still. He was a great talent Steele and Co. would have made a star.

2 Likes

Yep. Wally doesn’t become an All-American without Charlie becoming head coach. Look at the physical transformation that occurred between his Soph and JR seasons.

4 Likes

In Coach Coles class, he told us a story about how Wally was a big fan of creatine and flexing in front of the mirrors in the locker room

1 Like

That is an unknown to us. I think he was allowed to keep his scholarship this year. Does he return to action next season or is he on his own next year? He played in only one game for a couple of minutes. Can that be used as a redshirt season?

There was a similar but different situation with two women’s basketball players this season. Two girls were told that they would not be players this season, that their scholarship would be honored this year and that they could redshirt and transfer elsewhere next year if they wanted to. They continued to show up at practices and games all year. One of them entered the transfer portal last week, the other one is likely still part of the program, just not on scholarship for next year.

If my understanding of Lewis’ situation is accurate, he would likely qualify for a medical redshirt, but not for a regular redshirt since he did play.

March 26, 2024 Transfer Portal Movement:

OUT OF MIAMI: (G) 6-5 Ryan Mabry, (F) 6-8 Jaquel Morris

IN: (G) 6-6 Kam Craft (Xavier/3 years)

2024-25 Scholarship Players: 10*

The following players exhaust eligibility or have transferred: (4)** :
(F) 6-8 Anderson Mirambeaux,
(G) 6-5 Darweshi Hunter,
(G) 6-5 Bryce Bultman
(G) 6-5 Morgan Safford

SR (2) : (G) 6-6 Julian Lewis; (G) 6-2 Bradley Dean

JR (0) :

SO (6): (G) 5-10 Evan Ipsaro, (F) 6-9 Jackson Kotecki, (G) 6’ Mekhi Cooper, (F) 6-6 Eian Elmer, (C) 7’ Reece Potter, (G) 6-6 Kam Craft

FR (2): (G) 6-2 Luke Skaljac, (F) Brant Byers 6-8

[4] Forwards/Bigs: Jackson Kotecki (6-9), Eian Elmer (6-6), Reese Potter (7’), Brant Byers (6-8)

[6] Guards: Julian Lewis, Bradley Dean, Evan Ipsaro, Mekhi Cooper, Kam Kraft, Luke Skaljac

7-0 Reece Potter
6-9 Jackson Kotecki
6-8 Brant Byers
6-6 Julian Lewis
6-6 Eian Elmer
6-6 Kam Kraft
6-2 Bradley Dean
6-2 Luke Skaljac
6-0 Mekhi Cooper
5-10 Evan Ipsaro

1 Like

Lewis?

It was discussed above. He has eligibility and hasn’t announced a transfer.

1 Like

Just from what I see on Twitter, it looks like the staff is trying to get another guard, wing, and center. I think that would round out the roster nicely. The biggest question mark going into next season for me is who will play the 4 with Bultman graduating. It could be Kotecki or Byers, and Steele has been incredibly high on both of their ceilings, even if Kotecki saw limited action last season. Either way, if Kotecki/Byers fill the 4 spot, that leaves a big hole at center depth.

Potter already looked the part of a starting center for good chunks of the season, and I think if we just add a backup I’d be happy.

The second biggest question is if we’ll finally have a go-to shot creator. I think Skaljac can grow into that role, but it’s a big ask of a freshman to fill that void right away.

A positive observation - this will be one of the longest and most athletic Miami teams in a long time.

4 Likes

defending a physical post player will be challenging without 2 more physical post players

2 Likes

Watching a significant number of NCAA games, it seems pretty obvious that even substantial “contact” usually avoids what would have been a whistle just a few years ago. I realize that there has been an emphasis/ change mandated about drawing charging fouls…but I think the “let 'em play” attitude goes beyond that. I see more elbows failing to draw what were formerly called…and even a few very rough clearing out movements with no whistle. NC State’s big man had a field day for the most part.

Summing up: Miami needs bulk, strength and intimidating force to move up in the ranks…

3 Likes

Agree. It’s a far more physical game than it’s ever been. Gotta have bulk, saltiness and substantial ball talent in the paint.