Miami MBB 2023-24 Roster

…noted Phil. With Covid years and redshirt years, it’s tough to keep track.

I was relying on the Miami website that CURRENTLY has Curtis as a “SOPHOMORE”. Therefore, I had him listed on the 2023-24 roster as a Junior

Yeah it’s a nightmare to keep track of. Just remember hearing/reading that Harrison asked to be redshirted this year after playing in the two games and having shin problems on and off.

Is Curtis applying for a medical redshirt?

I am not aware of any rule in basketball that allows a redshirt for playing below a minimum number of games as there is in football.

I would assume so. He had a leg issue all season and shut it down after returning for two games.

Are you sure about that? It seemed to me that last year both Ames and Tatum played in a few games and then set out the rest of the season so they could use a redshirt and preserve a year of eligibility.

In the past I thought there was a 4 game rule. If that rule was dropped or changed, I do not know. Maybe someone does or will look it up. Right now I am too busy to do that.

The 4 game rule only exists for football. Basketball has talked about adding a comparable rule since football implemented theirs, but never has. Tatum didn’t appear in any games for the 21/22 season. Ames appeared in 7 and then was shut down with a back injury iirc. Medical redshirt rules allow you to play less than 30% of the season, but not after the midway point, and still redshirt with a season ending injury.

Harrison’s last game was against CMU, the 14th game of 31, so he would be eligible for a medical redshirt. I don’t think it’s a guarantee Harrison is playing next season, even if he’s at Miami.

2 Likes

JiveHawk provides what I believe is the definitive answer on the basketball redshirt rules.

Agreed. And thanks to Jive for looking it up. I do think that at one time ( been following this stuff for over 50 years) there was a 4 game limit beyond which you could not get a medical redshirt, then later a percentage, but this is the first time I have heard of the 30% rule. Good to know.

Jackson…averaged 4.6 points and 4.4 rebounds at Marian University. He pulled down 6 rebounds in a pre-season exhibition game vs. Indiana (Yes…That one).

According to a very reliable source, Ames is not expected to transfer back to Miami…although he enjoyed his two years in Oxford.

:grin:

So Mitchell Rylee played in 8 games, ( just under 30%). Is it possible he had some condition that he would be eligible for a medical redshirt? That could explain why he never got in after early January.

After BRADLEY DEAN portal announcement to Miami

2023-24 Scholarship Players: 13

SR (2) : (F) 6-8 Anderson Mirambeaux, (G) 6-5 Morgan Safford

JR (3) : (F) 6-7 Curtis Harrison, (G) 6-6 Julian Lewis; (G) Bradley Dean

SO (3) : (F) 6-8 Mitchell Rylee, (G) 6-5 Ryan Mabry, (F) 6-8 Jaquel Morris

FR (5): (G) Evan Ipsaro 5-10, (F) Jackson Kotecki 6-9, (G) Mekhi Cooper 6’, (F) Eian Elmer 6-6, (C) Reece Potter 7’

[7] Forwards/Bigs: Anderson Mirambeaux (6-8), Curtis Harrison (6-7), Mitchell Rylee (6-8), Jaquel Morris (6-8), Jackson Kotecki (6-9), Eian Elmer (6-6), Reese Potter (7’)

[6] Guards: Julian Lewis, Morgan Safford, Bradley Dean, Ryan Mabry, Evan Ipsaro, Mekhi Cooper

2 Likes

Ipsaro-Dean-Safford-Kotecki-Mirambeaux

Dean-Mabrey-Safford-Kotecki-Mirambeaux

or

Ipsaro-Dean-Mabrey-Safford-Mirambeaux

I do not see that last lineup unless it is in the last 2 minutes and we are ahead and the other team is pressing. It is simply too small and not athletic enough to rebound and defend, IMO.

I think 2 wings (Lewis and/or Elmer, along with Safford) to play a lot. We will have a lot of options, especially if we add a transfer power forward. How ready is Kotecki? is something I am looking forward to seeing.

I would now expect these 3 guys to start : Mirambeaux, Safford, and Dean. I would think everything else is up in the air.

Solid guesses. I think Cooper will be very competitive for the 2 spot.

If I had to guess what the rotations might look like without seeing anything outside of highlights for nearly half of the roster:

1: Dean/Ipsaro/Cooper
2: Mabrey/Cooper
3: Safford/Elmer
4: Lewis/Kotecki
5: Mirambeaux/Morris/Potter

Would not be surprised to still get a transfer 4, allowing Lewis to play/defend his more natural 3. If I were a betting man, I’d expect a 6’7" athletic wing type who can spread the floor. Similar to Williams, but much better defensively and on the boards. I think Elmer could slide to the 4, but defending there can get really physical for a freshman. Adding ~8" alone at the PG spot will be a huge help defensively.

1 Like

I still believe that Safford has two years of eligibility left if he chooses to go that route.

Similar to Anderson who was shown as a Senior this year but is coming back.

2019-20. Redshirt year at Wofford
2020-21 Covid year at Wofford not counted against eligibility
2021-22 Wofford
2022-23 Miami
2023-24 Miami
2024-25 Potential eligibility due to Covid year

Whether he chooses to use that at Miami or somewhere else will be determined.

1 Like

The 4 spot is the biggest question mark for me. No idea how ready Kotecki and Elmer will be as true freshmen and the only alternatives would be playing two post players together or going small ball with Safford or Lewis. That’s the most immediate need if there’s any further portal activity.

2 Likes

This is something I hadn’t considered. 6th year Safford could be a MAC POTY candidate.

I’m thinking the 2019-2020 season was the Covid year. If so, Safford has only one more year of eligibility.

3 Likes

That was not the COVID year. 2019/2020 was a full season with no tournament. 2020/2021 was the shortened/impacted season that didn’t count for eligibility.

1 Like

I think the Covid season was 20-21.

1 Like