[Miami Commit] Peter Suder '22

https://x.com/MiamiOH_BBall/status/1787910614066639182

6’5, 220, Guard, Carmel, Ind transfer from Bellarmine University

Averaged 9.9 points, 4.3 rebounds, 2.6 assists and 1.1 steals during his freshman season at Bellarmine

6 Likes

Tons of playing experience through two seasons, having played 30 minutes per game over his Fr and Soph seasons. Averaged 10.5 pts 4.3 reb and 3.3 assists last year. Not a great 3-pt shooter but over 70% from the foul line.

I dig it. Fills the Bultman role statistically right away, but hopefully with much more upside for his remaining two years.

3 Likes

Also completes the Billy Smith trade with Bellarmine

9 Likes

Pretty happy with this pickup! Good scorer, but a standout defender

3 Likes

Then we won that trade - significantly more minutes played, starts, and better production overall than Billy on the same team, same season.

Also impressed with his game vs WVU last season - 19 pts, 7-14 from the field.

3 Likes

Hat tip -Hawkfan 94

7 Likes

Great stats.

1 Like

So there seems to be a trend here in that all 3 guys we have recruited will be in their 3rd year of division 1 college basketball. Two have 2 years of eligibility left and one has 3. So they are experienced but Coach is looking for guys who will be here more than one season like the three guys we brought in last year, none of whom will be back this year.

3 Likes

Suder was named to the ASUN All-Freshman Team in 2022-23.

from a friend of mine that went to Miami and lives in Carmel and has seen Suder play a lot in high school: smart, talented player with a great motor. Tough and plays super hard…

Sounds like a good one!

3 Likes

he looks like he will fit the system well being able to guard multiple positions and bring some physicality. Impressed with the staff and what they have done thru the portal so far. If this is the 10 player rotation we should compete for top third of the MAC.

2 Likes

I think we could win it with one more piece. A big who can open things up for the guards. Two would put us in a great spot. Between Cam, Peter and the other awesome guards we have, our team is winning 20 games minimum next year. D1 wins. Max could be epic so I’ll stop here. Coach Steele has this thing dialed.

2 Likes

I have to say I don’t actually think another big is imperative.

A rotation of Potter, Woolfolk, and Kotecki should be fine. Especially the way Steele wants to play (and most of the basketball world for that matter), which is with one big and a small ball four who can stretch the floor.

My preference would be fore a veteran combo guard. What I noticed at the end of the year was teams with quick. athletic, older guards were eating us alive. Specifically OU.

That and/or another shooter. Say what you will about Hunter, Mabrey and Dean, but they were three of our best three point shooters and we haven’t really replaced them outside of Craft.

2 Likes

You might be right but if we want to make a serious run, more depth can’t hurt. I worry about fatigue if we can’t sub at certain positions. Seems like we are good with guards

1 Like

I guess I’m not totally convinced Cooper/Ipsaro are the guys. If we get the Ipsaro from the first half of the season we’ll be fine, but I can’t get the memory of Hunter and Mitchell from OU absolutely carving us up in the last game of the season.

Totally agree on depth, but at this point I’m not sure what backup center we’re going to find who would come here and actually make a difference to the outcome of the season.

1 Like

The good news is there are still 3 open scholarships. So I think front court, experienced guard, and shooting (ideally all three potential guys can shoot) can cover all the bases for next year

1 Like

Based on their entire season, I have had the same thoughts. But both are very talented and, they were freshman. I expect Ipsaro to come back much better prepared to play. Cooper is a hell of a talent and he, too, will benefit from the off-season workouts. Plus, he is/was 18 this past season.
Remember, Ron Harper was not a phenom his fr year. But his first game as a soph at Indiana, he played as Harp would play and he was Sports Illustrated player of the week. So, I expect improvement from all the freshman this coming season. If it doesn’t happen, Steele will not hesitate to make some changes. But I don’t see that being necessary, especially with Craft and Woolfolk being major contributors.

1 Like