Miami at Toledo Game Thread

Coaching. Specifically lack of discipline. Davis should have been Fair catching those kickoffs. He cost us 10 to 15 yards per return. Also, how hard is it to get everybody lined up properly so we don’t get penalized. We probably never lined up wrong all season a year ago, or had block in the back penalties or holding calls on returns. Those things all come down to coaching and execution.

1 Like

Actually, mediocrity would be an upgrade from this.

Good call.

1 Like

Mr. Dick brings up a good point about coaching. And here is a question: how many MAC games has Chuck Martin won because of superior talent versus coaching elevating the team? Is his coaching, and that of his staff, difference makers against MAC teams with better talent?

1 Like

For the 1st four games, he had the 11th worst passing efficiency in the FBS. And he was the 2nd worst QB in the MAC. I expect a lot more from a starter…who has been in college for 6 years.

We’re 5 games into his 6th season. He needed to be better in the first 5 games.

[quote=“DICK, post:225, topic:4160”]
Actually
[/quote]TO be clear, I meant to criticize the special teams coach for all the mental mistakes we are seeing on special teams, no so much to criticize Coach Martin. Why is Brett throwing all those interceptions in the Red Zone? It is because we are probably the worst running team in D1. Teams give us the underneath passes as we move down the field. We only have two wr’s that are good ( McDonald and Tracy, maybe sometimes Davis) and all those guys are possession type receivers. So we can work the ball downfield as long as the defenders have to protect the whole field. The closer we get to the end zone, the less effective that offense becomes, because the db’s no longer have to protect the area behind them. The way to score in close is by running the ball and always has been. We are incapable of that so Brett has to try to force the ball into small openings or throw jump balls down close to the end zone. There are no easy answers, because of our lousy O-line, our weak group of running backs, and our immobile QB. The last two games Brett has been willing to scramble and run but he is not the same as he was in the past. We have scored a little more the last two games because he has been willing to run more and we have stopped running the ball so much, but this is still a losing formula.

5 Likes

If you read the game thread you will see I called for him to be benched more than once. There are a myriad of factors contributing to Gabbert’s precipitous decline. But the decline is obvious. Not all his fault either. Stupid ass decisions forcing passes in the end zone-those are mostly, if not entirely, on him.

2 Likes

nm

—as my lovely wife said as we sat in the stands “isn’t anyone learning anything from these bad decisions? Just fair catch the thing. ! “.

1 Like

I was at Toledo yesterday sitting right beside the pick. Brett took it very hard. He knelt down on the sideline by himself for the rest of the game. Chuck walked over to console him.

3 Likes

We aren’t the Coaches, yet we all have been screaming at the TV “FAIR CATCH the dang thing” since the first game. Same as continuing to run little Mozee up the gut game after game.

Do they watch film? Or just munch on peanuts and pretzels…

2 Likes

Hindsight being really good, I should have gone to J Mac’s hockey coaching gig, had a couple of cheaper beers and loudly questioned every decision.

3 Likes

And I’m not worried about Brett. He is capable enough.

What I am worried about is this coaching staff. Chucks asinine control over this offense put them continually is bad spots. Manic playcalling….the slowest play known to mankind….the TE in the back field formation signals a complete disaster with the o-line

I’d like to see Chuck calm the phuck down too on the sidelines after an offensive series ends poorly. Watch him closely and think if this is the best leadership style in 2024……for any profession

We can go one and win every game and win the MACC and win a bowl (which I don’t believe)….but we’ll still have this personality/style at the helm

Don’t even get me started on qb development either

5 Likes

But Chuck is also consistent during the signing day specials and at other times when he says that if you don’t want to be coached hard, you don’t come to Miami. Everyone on the team knows what they’re getting into so it shouldn’t be a surprise. And whenever anyone reports back on conversations they’ve had with players and their families, the sentiment is mostly positive. We only see what’s on the field. That could very well be balanced out by everything we don’t see, which I believe is instructive and beneficial or else we’d hear more negative sentiments.

3 Likes

As many have been saying from week one this team and most importantly the coaching staff have a number of problems to overcome. While Brett has made mistakes his O line has been terrible and we have no run game .To start with we are getting beat in the trenches- OL for its experience a major disappointment- the O line coach needs to get this figured out immediately. The D line cannot seem to put any pressure on the QB and our completely predictable D rarely if ever blitzes. We are way to predictable on D. We on occasion need to let our DB’s jump a short route and at lest have them play some press D coverage with safety help. Our ST coach needs to do a major reset- the first quarter yesterday was terrible -do we still have ability to block FG’s and extra points like last year? And the play calling continues to be uneven, no flow or patience- it resembles CM’s impatient shoot from the hip style. The MAC is stronger this year and CM needs to get the message that he needs to make changes now. We have an experienced team with a tenured coaching staff- EMU game is a must win

4 Likes

Took me over half an hour to find parking. i started at Rocket Hall at 12:45 and worked my way around the south end lots until I finally found the Engineering Building lot at 1:30. It was an easy under 10 minute walk to the stadium. A lot of the closer lots seemed to be reserved by pass only. The parking in most of the perimeter lots was free.

I finally got to see a game in the venerable Glass Bowl. Nice experience except for losing. No hassle from UT fans. Limited but reasonably priced concessions. No bad seats. Nice VIP seating across the field and modern press box area.

2 Likes

Glad you had a nice time. Parking was a zoo… Even lot 10 was pretty full 3 hours prior to kick. HC and BG always draw well but the 2k or 3k extra for the game this weekend over usual homecoming made a big difference. Nice away crowd from MU locals and travelers. The fullest student section in years. Glad to get out with a win. If the ST mistakes get cleaned up and a rb emerged MU can certainly run off 6 wins and get into the MACC again. The D is still good, but the O is gona have to muster up 24ppg to win the rest.

4 Likes

No lies detected there brother. CM shows you exactly who he is from start to finish. He’s the hardest person most of these guys will ever encounter. I say that as a person who is good with it too. What we are missing is a few of the assistant coaches that did a great job buffering CM from the players. The guy is so intense it can just wear everyone down. Then there is the losing. That always compounds the problem.

2 Likes

One thing that I missed but a friend told me, last year’s Mr. Football from Indiana, Josh Ringer, played 7 or 8 plays on Saturday. I checked the participation stats and Yes, he did play. No carries, no receptions. That was his first game of the year. You can play in up to 4 games and still get a redshirt and save a year of eligibility.

6 Likes

He’s very interesting on paper. I hope we can see him with some touches soon.

3 Likes