Miami at Toledo Game Thread

The better question: Is Miami’s 2025 QB currently on the roster?

5 Likes

Let’s not forget the blocked punt near the start of the game.

2 Likes

Special teams! :face_with_thermometer:

2 Likes

There was an article on espn yesterday about Pitt and they called out the new OC as reason for improvement but as I read it I was thinking hmmm….special teams seems to be missing. Because they are like 64 spots better this year and the season isn’t even half over.

It’s hard to overstate how much last season did for Chuck. For everyone else, not so much.

Postseason will be very interesting comparing portal activity and recruiting with last postseason. Chuck’s not going anywhere and he’s not hiring any independent thinking coordinators.

5 Likes

Me too

1 Like

Special team’s lack of execution - giving up the 50 yard return in the 1st quarter and the blocked punt - were direct reasons for 2 of Toledo’s early scores. The defense wasn’t good, but likely good enough to win if we had a QB with any accuracy and ability to see the field.

3 Likes

This was a really loud and involved crowd. I’m not certain if the electronic noise should not have been cut off a little earlier. If I were a recruit, this was a great atmosphere. Parking was a bit overwhelming, I could not get connected to wi fi. The concessions were effective but I believe the beer was $9. A great weather day. The game sucked swamp water through a straw. Their tail gating scene was top notch. We were given some great walleye and also some perch. Oh well.

5 Likes

“We can’t run the ball for an inch.” CM sounds really frustrated.

1 Like

Welcome to the board! CM doesn’t believe in developing the QB position. We’ll run a guy out next year with no in game experience

2 Likes

Maybe if ya tried running something outside the tackles my dude……

1 Like

Miami averaged 2.3 yds per carry today. They have a freshman rb who was Indiana Mr. Football sitting on the bench. Maybe he’s hurt, maybe they moved him to safety. If not, it’s hard to see how he couldn’t help the offense.

2 Likes

We did, got called back for holding.

If we had managed that last possession of the second half correctly and run out the clock after we didn’t get the first down on second down, we would have been driving for the tying score on that last possession.

1 Like

We lost some seniors on special teams, Cam Rogers comes to mind, so we have more inexperience.

Brunson went the wrong way it appeared on the 3rd and 1 on the first drive.

But I don’t get our alignment on kickoffs, especially since it hasn’t worked after 5 weeks.

And Toledo could’ve blocked at least 2 more points if they weren’t playing for returns. I hate the wide splits on punts.

If we “cant’ gain an inch” and haven’t been able to do so all year, wouldn’t common sense dictate that you either change your scheme, change your personnel, or both?

4 Likes

Could’ve been just when I was watching (had a couple interruptions) but we hit two punts that flipped the field and it seemed to become a different game for us. Got great field position and a score the second time we got our punt inside their ten. ST makes a huge difference, especially when the D is humming

The other thing is our obsession with a very pedestrian pace of play on offense. When we picked up the tempo in the last couple of series, the Rockets were on their back foot. I think someone mentioned most of our offensive stats on the last two drives. Let’s not run that style of offense when we have to (throws get rushed/forced and picked), let’s run it by choice.

Finally, put the statistics off to the side sometimes. First down run for four, then a deep ball? How about another run for four?! We’ve got a qb who’s having consistency issues at the moment….why waste the down and stall the series?

5 Likes

The deep ball sure is pretty when it works. Wait, what’s that, you want to win? Oh.

The only way Brett gets benched is if Brett decides to bench himself. He’s not a quitter and that won’t happen. Don’t give up on him yet. He can still salvage this season.

1 Like

Here is an interesting stat. I would say partly due to Brett’s reduced mobility and at times holding on to the ball too long, but also speaks to the poor OL play, and perhaps some other factors as well. Sacks:

2019 sacked 25 times
2021 sacked 14 times
2022 sacked 14 times
2023 sacked 15 times
2024 already sacked 15 times

Clearly, for whatever reason(s) Brett is not being allowed to be comfortable in the pocket. Which in turn, in part, may to some degree explain his 7 INT (career high of 8 INT in 2019, freshman year), and his lack of accuracy.

2 Likes