Miami at Northwestern 2024

Kick off is a little less than 5 months away and NU still doesn’t have their shit together. This is annoying.

Valparaiso’s Brown Field is open on the 31st. Seats 5,000.

I expect it should turn green as the seasons change.

At least it’s not a Brownfields site.

We could follow the Oakland A’s and move the game to the AAA stadium in Sacramento. It holds about as many as Northwestern’s proposed practice field venue.

Seriously… make a friggin decision Northwestern. Kickoff isn’t that far away. This isn’t even MACtion goofiness. This is NAIA-level tomfoolery.

1 Like

Evanston gave initial approval to use the soccer stadium, but there are still hoops to jump through.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/04/08/northwestern-gets-initial-application-okd-by-evanston-for-temporary-field-with-conditions/

QQ: Doesn’t Miami have to approve where the game is played? For example, if Miami said it was going to host the UC game at Talawanda HS, wouldn’t UC be able to say that it is unacceptable?

As long as the travel is the same and the venue is safe for the players I don’t know what grounds Miami would be able to use to object. If the check cashes we play.

1 Like

Miami does not have to approve. Here is the contract: https://miamioh.edu/_files/documents/athletics/public-records/game-contracts/northwestern-20241.pdf

That contract says we can ask for up to 5,000 tickets. If they play in the 15k practice field we should ask for all 5,000

8 Likes

I still can’t believe Northwestern did not have a plan in place for 2024 home games before demolishing/renovating Ryan Field. Amateur hour at its finest.

5 Likes

Doesn’t seem like they value being in the B10…

Great idea. The Athletic Department can buy the entire lot. What they don’t sell to Miami fans and alums they can put on StubHub and get those wealthy Northwestern alums to pay outrageous prices that we can then use to fund an NIL program.

1 Like

I’m a bit sympathetic to Northwestern since the NIMBYs sidetracked things for a bit and Cook County is a shitshow. It certainly should’ve been planned better, but I can’t blame NU for not locking in a contract at Soldier Field/Seatgeek Stadium way back when they weren’t positive that the new stadium project had a green light. They’re ultimately putting together an $800 million stadium (near NFL-spend given it’s only 35K capacity), not like they’re totally incompetent even if the 2024 situation is devolving into a meme.

1 Like

I have no sympathy at all for Northwestern. I work in an industry that’s part of the long-range planning and permitting process for construction projects. This is a complete shit show.

7 Likes

Nor do I have any sympathy for them. They may not be totally incompetent but they are pushing it. Exploring possibilities and thinking about the “what ifs” are not to be ignored. Seems as if they had no sympathy for us, thus I have none for them.

1 Like

I don’t think Cook County had anything to do with the stadium expansion. I believe it was the City of Evanston that held it up.

If I’m hearing you right (and I think I am/lie to me if I’m not) It sounds like there are too many cooks in the Cook County kitchen.

#punmaestroforthewin

2 Likes

It didn’t, I was just referring to Chicago-area politics generally. U Chicago or Loyola could try the same thing and they’d run into similar opposition from NIMBYs.

Stand corrected Bash.

1 Like

Yep. But NIMBY is everywhere, not just Chicagoland. It has killed reasonably financed minor league ball park proposals twice here in the Wilmington area - first in 2015 in New Hanover County (Wilmington) and just recently across the river in Brunswick County (Leland). Opposition to every development now seems to be stronger than support.