Miami at Northwestern 2024

Not sure how many outside Chicagoland saw this or have been following, but the Evanston City Council yesterday approved the proposed $800 million renovation of Ryan Field.

There’s still lots of local opposition, and the measure was split with a tiebreaking vote cast by the Mayor, but assuming the renovation occurs as planned, Northwestern is looking for a temporary football home in 2024 and 2025…which means the Miami game next year being played in an alternate location.

People in the know (e.g. NU message boards) seem to think SeatGeek Stadium in Bridgeview (soccer-specific stadium) would get the bulk of NU’s games, with some at Wrigley post-baseball season and perhaps a handful at Soldier Field (which otherwise doesn’t sound like a realistic full-time option given they have two full-time tenants and the Chicago Park District isn’t wild about adding another, even temporarily).

Regardless…don’t count on booking hotels in Evanston next year if you’re traveling in

3 Likes

Very interesting. There is a music festival scheduled for Labor Day weekend at SeatGeek Stadium, so that seems unlikely. The Cubs are out of town on August 31, but return home two days later on Labor Day. So Wrigley also seems unlikely. That leaves Solider Field.

Alternative solution is to play the game in Oxford and we will come back in 2026 or 2028.

4 Likes

Just play the game in Oxford. Period.

Problem solved.

2 Likes

I could be in the minority but I will be surprised if this project starts on time. I am not a lawyer but I imagine there are going to be some lawsuits from residents and that will push this back again.

1 Like

Northwestern’s proposed new digs…

Is Lambeau Field being used the Saturday of Labor Day weekend?

1 Like

Soldier Field is officially in use on 8/31 (for Fire vs Inter Miami). If demolition doesn’t get delayed or held up on Ryan Field, it’s basically only Wrigley left for FBS- or pro-level capacity fields in Chicagoland on that date. Even NIU opens at home if they wanted to go just outside of Chicagoland.

I’m not sure what the alternative would be outside of Wrigley. Play at Illinois State or Southern Illinois? Joliet? Lane Tech high school?

I repeat… just move the game to Oxford. We’ll wear white jerseys. No problem.

4 Likes

The Gary South Shore Railcats host the Chicago Dogs at the Steel Yard that weekend. So that’s out.

1 Like

Since it is still during baseball Wrigley is probably not a real option. Takes too long to set up the field since they have to take out a dugout and sections of seats and football tears up the grass. Now if after baseball I could see the game being played there.

1 Like

I’m with you on your idea. Just thought I’d stick the Lambeau Field option out there as something to think about. Also, it’d be super cool for Labor Day weekend!

1 Like

Or half way in Indy?

2 Likes

The game will probably just be moved to Thursday, or maybe Friday.

5 Likes

Post deleted

2 Likes

And we will still take their million….

If it’s renegotiated to a home game for us there’s no way that’s our payday. It’ll change to either a reduced payout or we schedule a third game in Evanston for a discounted fee (in effect a 2-1 deal including 2022). The only way it gets done is if it becomes economical for Northwestern to move the game versus keeping it in Chicagoland and moving up to Thursday/Friday. Knowing Sayler, he’ll be receptive to the latter because it’ll mean we keep the seven-figure check and a better TV station.

2 Likes

Kinda seems unlikely that this will get designed, and contractors selected/signed/working in 9 months, and also not sure if you’d want to break ground for a project like this in autumn, imho.

1 Like

I think the issue is the demolishing of the old stadium is scheduled to start soon.

Seems like the easiest thing to do would be to play at Miami in the fall and then schedule another game at NW in the future

2 Likes

All of that is done - the plan was to start demolition ASAP given they’re estimating 30 months for the project (to be ready in time for the 2026 season). The holdups now are legal action and red tape.