Miami at Eastern Michigan

It’s run by Goofy and Donald Duck!

1 Like

Must be contagious. BYJew, the BYU QB, is going to beat Arizona in Provo.

1 Like

When we turn games into who can execute the best, that’s when we have the advantage. We didn’t shoot ourselves in the foot today, with the exception of the fumble on the punt return and made Eastern drive the ball and they couldn’t finish drives. Gabbert was a great decision-maker today. He threw the ball just as well as he had for most of the season. He had an extra half-second today thanks to the offensive line. The offensive line was better and that made a big difference. I don’t see why we don’t run more behind the middle of the line, keep it simple.

Maybe we finally figured out what we have as a team. It stinks that it took 6 games, but with such a hard first 3 games, UMass where you just try to catch your breath, then right into conference play.

1 at a time and let’s see where we end up. Great game today.

4 Likes

Blakey and Hondru were in on a combined total of 34 tackles.

5 Likes

Interesting fun fact: EMU threw it 42 times and ran it 41 times for a total of 83 plays from scrimmage. (I guess that would not include punts). Miami threw it 13 times and ran it 31 times, for a total of 44 plays from scrimmage.
That’s a pretty incredible differential!

Not surprisingly, EMU had about 10 minutes more TOP, and 24 first downs to 16 for Miami, but as all here are aware we had a number of big plays, both rushing and passing. As a result, we had around 420 yards total offense, about 90 more than EMU. Brett threw for 222 yards all in 10 completions, and we averaged over 6 yards a rush. Pretty impressive!

1 Like

We seem to play well on Yom Kippur for whatever reason. Our losing streak was broken in 2014 against UMass on the day of, if I recall.

General note, but props to Dom Dzioban for doing a great job this season. Was nearly impossible to hit Graham’s standard from last season and our special teams unit has taken a huge step back without Bronk. Even despite that he sat last season, changed positions, and looks great in the transition.

7 Likes

Even with the ST teams taking the huge step back, I still am fully confident whenever we line up for a FG. That still puts us way ahead of the rest of the MAC.

2 Likes

We beat UC on rosh hashana last year. They love the holidays clearly

4 Likes

Thankfully we had some big plays. Running half as many offensive plays as your opponent rarely bodes well

I’m having a hard time with the play-by-play recap….in the 3rd quarter, we return a kickoff to our 20….then the next play we gain 30 yards plus a 15 yard penalty? The recap shows going from Miami 20 to EMU 35 in one play

That is what happened, a 30 yard pass and run, which ended with a late hit out of bounds.

1 Like

Overall a wonderful win. Our front 7 pressure on the opposing QB still leaves much to be desired. That needs to improve. OU’s QB next week is a dual threat and must be contained in the pocket. I think we are seeing this team and its coaching staff is good enough (hopefully) to contend again this year at the top of the MAC, but maybe a step below, the UC and NW of the world. That is not necessarily a damning criticism, but more of a critical analysis. Besides OU being our biggest rival, this game is crucial as OU and Buffalo are the only undefeated teams in MAC play. We need to blemish that record. Remember, only top two teams play for MAC championship. We are currently in the mix with 6 other teams at 1-1. Need to start distinguishing ourselves, and hopefully yesterday was the start we needed.

6 Likes

How was Rynerson without the track?

1 Like

About that pass rush. In the 4th quarter we put Ty Wise at one DE and Ugwu at the other with Hondru at Wise"s LB spot and that worked. Good pressure in the 4th and those 2 were also quick enough to chase down Snyder when he took off. Hondru was outstanding with 16 tackles.

4 Likes

It looks better, but it is still has more open space between the stands and the field than almost any other stadium. Kind of like the Millett Hall of football, only it is much farther back than even MIllett. Both facilities tried to accommodate track and created facilities with a fatal flaw. The entire upper deck on the visitors side is covered with tarps.

One new thing was that they have a huge statute of George Gervin in front of the basketball arena ( which is attached to the football stadium. He sure looked skinny compared to our statute of Wayne Embry.

George Gervin was so skinny he had to run around the shower to get wet

3 Likes

Why do they have a cave opening in the one end zone?

Chuck’s post game interview yesterday was interesting. He was seriously hyped - considerably more than usual. If I understood correctly we only brought 63 players from our allotment of 70 because that’s all we had healthy and ready to contribute. A couple were on scout team a week ago. The touchdown pass was Cole Weaver’s first play of the season. Kaleb Martin and Tony Coleman were mentioned. Coleman made a great tackle on a punt return on the fourth quarter.

1 Like

I dont know how it is possible we only have 63 healthy bodies and we only report 7 guys “out” on the MAC availability report and 2 “questionable” both of whom played

I wonder if we had a lot of “departures” for the portal?

1 Like

I loved Brunson’s TD long run where he jogged past the end zone and it looked like he was standing in a giant field from a neighboring farm instead of an FBS college venue.

4 Likes

One thing Chuck also mentioned in his postgame (which he’s mentioned a few other times too) is how well Brett did checking us into good plays, in particular run plays. I do wonder how many times I, and others on here, have complained about a play call when in fact it was a play Brett audibled us into. Probably a larger discussion about how much play calling should be turned over to our starting QB, but just something I found interesting.

3 Likes