Kent State (Homecoming) Week

I don’t agree with 8th in the MAC.

1 Like

D is too strong there, I’d say we are 5th

Gotta score more than 20 to win, even in the MAC.

2 Likes

Agreed…remains to be seen if we can do that…hopeful, as we should have had 24 to 27 @ UB.

It’s frustrating. We might actually have the best defense in the MAC. When we didn’t give them the ball, Kentucky only had a couple successful drives. Northwestern couldn’t move. Cincinnati had difficulty driving. Buffalo put up 50 on EMU and struggled against us.

But our offense has to do better. I don’t trust Aveon to consistently hit open receivers. We have Hip, Walker, Marshall, Davis, and Coldiron. They can get open. Aveon is a solid QB when you’re ahead. But we can’t be chasing the game with him. I really liked what I saw from Hesson in limited action against RMU. It’s RMU and they had some backups in, but unless he’s a turnover machine in practice, I’d feel better with him. It might hurt the run game some, but at least teams wouldn’t stack the box.

4 Likes

I think the key to success for this coaching staff is finding a way to use both Aveon and Henry successfully very quickly. If they can’t figure that out I don’t see many positives coming out of this offense. Seeing Aveon in on a Wildcat snap knowing Henry can hit an open Mac or Jack could be frightening to an opposing defense.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t hold my breath

Some interesting tidbits…mass respect for Salopek and Miami from coach (Kent’s that is…), he knows our personnel well, and Sean Lewis in Wisconsin discussion…Chuck, not aware of being any discussions.

At least it’s crucial this time around, :wink:

PS Rowan Zolman starting…interesting Sterling W type 6-4, 215 at moment, FS

1 Like

Looks like Blakey did get hurt on that late sideline tackle last week. Neither Bester nor McWood are in the two-deep.

D just looks slow to me. Kent usually has lot of speed at skill positions.

I look for them to try to throw fades to Cepheus and isolate him one on one on the right side against McKee all day. They’re also going to run Cooper up the gut until we stop it. He runs low and behind the pads and he gave Georgia fits.

Martin said Nardone played a great game at Buffalo but he’s only credited with one tackle against the Bulls compared to 10 for McWood at Northwestern. The doctor was supposed to either clear McWood or delay his return yesterday. I haven’t heard how that went. Maybe Chuck will address it Thursday night at LaRosas. Our corners made 16 tackles at Buffalo. That’s never a good thing…

2 Likes

Surprised on Nardone stat…he can play…Salopek will lead the lbs, he’s tough and smart.

Interested to see what Rowan Zolman brings to table.

1 Like

Corners making 16 tackles is a hell of a lot better than corners missing 16 tackles :sunglasses:

@renmanaz I supposed that kept 16 TD off the boards. Everything is relative.

2 Likes

They also missed some big tackles, so there’s that.

2 Likes

I think we’re really going to miss Blakey. He ran to the ball and would hit.

1 Like

What’s his prognosis?

@NYCRedHawk I don’t know. But it looked like he hurt his arm pretty badly on a fourth quarter sideline tackle. He left the game in pain and dangling it…

Kent is a 5.5 point favorite.