Kent State Game Week 2023

My wife and I were talking about that in the car when driving to the game

It is a tough spot because you are right that the public doesn’t really have the right to know. But the opposite is since there is legalized gambling on MAC games there is a monetary value to that information if not shared publicly

Related to Chuck’s press conferences, I saw a shirt this morning in St. Louis ( and it wasn’t on Bluesman) that simply said:
Yeah……
No

Perhaps a Hawktalk fundraiser?

No, yeah.

3 Likes

Yea us.

Gambling is about the least justifiable reason to disclose a student’s injury. The only information concerning a student’s status for a game should be A or NA

2 Likes

In his post game he said Gage is “week to week.” Take from that what you will.

2 Likes

That seems an appropriate disclosure…

1 Like

Agreed. We don’t need to know specific details, but like others have said, I’d like to know the odds of him being available.

Thought for the day: They wouldn’t call it “gambling” if everything was a sure thing.

Which is fine. Technically we’re all week-to-week.

2 Likes

—or in the case of we more mature people, hour to hour.

2 Likes

Prices were $20 for General Admission and $30 for Reserved…Not as cheap as you might have remembered.

Actually, we would be in far better shape than we were last season when Brett got injured in Game #1.

1 Like

I think Parseghian was our previous % leader.

Disagree. Aveon still is not a passer. Kopp has 1 game experience and apparently being out played in practice by MacLeod. Henry has about two series in a game over a year ago. Aveon and Henry need game reps. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

So on our continuing weekend road tour, this past weekend we went into Western PA for my mother in law’s 91st birthday. On the way home to St. Louis yesterday, Sunday, we stopped at a rest stop east of Dayton. 2 men were standing by their cars. One in a UC shirt, the other in a Miami shirt. So I commented they must have had an interesting time a couple weeks ago. Turns out the guy in the UC shirt is Miami LB/DE Adam Trick’s father! Their other son went to UC. They were on the way home from the Kent game. Mr. Trick, and his wife were very nice. They were quite impressed when he said “my son plays for Miami”. I asked who. He said “Adam Trick”. I responded, “oh, the 6’4” LB/DE". You never know who you will meet. We are going to look for each other this coming weekend in Oxford.

6 Likes

A guy who has really grabbed my attention is Ugwu. Great edge rusher.

5 Likes

To be more specific, the part of your post that I disagree with is the last statement… I agree that it is ridiculous that he would not put Aveon in for the last couple of possessions of that game and give him more experience, plus we were going to be running every play and we can do that better with Aveon at QB than Brett. We do not need Brett taking any unnecessary hits. But we certainly are more prepared for a QB injury now and next year than we were last season when we did not have a single backup QB who had ever thrown a collegiate pass. Now we have Aveon who had a 5-4 record in 9 college starts and has also played in several other games and is in his 4th year in the program. Next year we will also have our transfer from Colorado who would be in his 4th year in college football and had a start

1 Like

Football broadens! At the UMass game the parking lot attendant put me into a spot directly in front of a group of Miami tailgaters.I walked over and introduced myself and found out the group consisted of Brett’ parents, Matt Salopek’s parents, Austin Ertl’s parents and others. I stayed and chatted a few minutes and then went over to the UMass tailgate to meet UMass Steve and join him for his luncheon. With the crazy weather - hanging out under the stadium for the first two hour delay and coming back into McGuirk for the 9:45 resumption of the game - I ended up standing behind the rail overlooking the Miami bench with both Dan Salopek and Brett’s dad. As a former college player dad - hockey and baseball - it reminded my of earlier days when I fully understood the desirability of standing in a corner of the arena away from the main fan base. Good times! Even more fun when we win!

2 Likes

I certainly respect your opinion. I do believe Aveon will give us a chance, always. Now that MAC defenses have seen him they would make him beat them with his arm. I just don’t see it. I could be wrong. I also don’t see Kopp as the next Miami QB. He played one game in the last 3 years, not that well I might add. My point I guess was I would like to see CM develop QB’s. He just doesn’t. He has had the luxury of Gabbert, who will eventually…. Some day…. Actually leave. We lost a kid that was highly ranked and never saw him play. We may lose another. Get these guys into a game. There are practice players and there are game players and sometimes you don’t realize what you have until they are in a real game. I have made it clear that I think Henry Hesson can play. I’m not impressed with Kopp. I don’t think we have a QB that can win us games next year if Brett is gone.

1 Like