Jermaine Henderson

Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics

1 Like

You’re just upset because you like him as a person and are taking it personally. He might be a great human, but there’s nothing that shows he’s ready to be a D1 head coach. Your whole post was about how he passed the eye test two decades ago, but attacked @Quinoaburger who clearly showed what’s happened in the more recent two decades.

2 Likes

I posted about his coaching ability, as a scout, as a coach in practice, as the interim head coach who got more out of the team ( kind of like X’s assistant got more out of the team and won the NIT, lol). I posted about his communications skills. Those things are all high level.

As for Q, he did not show what happened in the last two decades. Two decades would have required listing some excellent seasons. He went back just as far as it would make Henderson look bad and ignored all the really good seasons, many of which were in the last two decades.

1 Like

Many of the posters (and former players) who have been praising the strengths of Henderson are current or recent coaches of Gen Z athletes.
We all know the game has changed. We have lived or are living it.

4 Likes

Jermaine didn’t get the job. The BoT and University President hired David Sayler to be the Director of Athletics and one of his job duties is to hire and fire Head Coaches. He has hired Travis Steele, and we should embrace him.

It doesn’t matter what cherry-picked numbers were presented on this message board or what alums feel about Jermaine. He didn’t get the job. Doesn’t matter if he wasn’t interviewed or had 10 rounds of interviews. Coach Steele is the guy.

Best of luck to Jermaine. A loyal Miami alum like so many of us. I hope he can find a job closer to Colleen and enjoy fatherhood.

7 Likes

I used the past 15 years. It’s not like I chose some arbitrary number to make a point (that would be if I had used the past 13 years).

The game has changed massively in that time. The shot clock was still 35 seconds, the three point line was still the same as the HS line, freedom of movement rules hadn’t been changed yet, the pace and space revolution hadn’t reached college yet, transfers were super rare, social media was in its infancy, NIL wasn’t a thing. If you’re having to go back that far to find success, it’s a problem. I’m not sure why stuff that happened in the Bush/Clinton administrations should hold so much sway, especially when we can look at more than a decade of brutal basketball that’s taken place since then at multiple universities with multiple head coaches. If we’re just looking purely at prior Miami success without any regard for context, then hell, why not hire Joby Wright?

I hold no ill will towards the man. I wish him the best. My criticism comes purely from a love of Miami basketball and a desire to see it succeed. I hope Steele can get us on track and we can put this debate to rest.

4 Likes

No wonder Coach K is retiring. Just can’t keep up with the changes.

2 Likes

AD’s hire coaches. Is there a single AD in the country considering JH? At any lvl?
Why? If he’s as good as some of you believe and wants to be a HC, then surely he can get a HC gig at some lvl and show his ability to eventually be considered by MU as a serious candidate. He’s tried this as an Asst and it just hasn’t worked out. I’d think if he had a conversation with Saylor he would advise him to do this as well.

1 Like

I mean, isn’t that the perfect example of what I’m talking about? Coach K had to radically alter his strategies in order to keep up with the times. What they’re doing now in terms of recruiting and style of play is wildly different from what they were doing in the early to mid 2000s. In a hypothetical scenario where Coach K had refused or failed to adapt to the modern game and Duke was posting losing seasons every year, would it make sense for them to keep him on as coach based on championships from decades ago? You supported the Rico Blasi firing, right?

1 Like

For those of you that saw or listened to the introductory presser for Steele, you can see his experience and confidence at running a program…not a former assistant coach feeling his way.

1 Like

At least at Miami, the AD does not hire any coaches without the President’s approval-so yes DS does all the work but Crawford has the final say.

In the presser, Sayler said their #1 requirement was the new coach have D1 head coaching experience. So Jermaine was never in consideration.

Or it’s a “convenient” way to finesse the issue…

2 Likes

Since Our AD was not here during the years Jermaine was here do you really think he designed a job description to exclude Jermaine?

He probably cant believe how many people want him to be the coach when he is doing a search with candidates who are current head coaches- not 3rd assistants

I would have been happy with Jermaine getting the job when Charlie retired but we have to move past it now. That ship has sailed

8 Likes

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Like Jack Owens?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

You guys so naive, can’t believe you don’t all see what happened with this job.

2 Likes

So Year 6 of Owens or Steele—I know what I’m signing up for.

1 Like

Probably time to close this thread. Travis Steele is our coach and we should all be behind him. The number one thing I want changed is the whole mindset and effort on defense, and the number two thing is to get back to systematically developing and improving the guys each and every year like we used to do. Steele listed both of those things as priorities and I was smiling. Best of luck to Jermaine in finding a new job closer to his wife and kid. He would be great as an assistant here, lol.

6 Likes

Agree Dick. Sayler hired a top assistant from a successful B10 program and it didn’t work…not a huge surprise that Sayler decided to go with a different model this time around, that being a hire with D1 Head Coach experience.

This ship has sailed.

1 Like