Ivan Pace Transfer Portal

In athletics, if you’re not moving forward, you’re falling behind. Standing still is not moving forward.

2 Likes

Not to mention how Lonnie Phelps is tearing it up for Kansas:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/transfers-making-a-big-impact-for-big-12s-early-leaders/2022/10/04/e5b0b322-4433-11ed-be17-89cbe6b8c0a5_story.html

Pace makes ESPN’s First Team All-America team halfway through the season

2 Likes

Inside College Football on CBS mentioned him today, too.

2 Likes

Pace was an unanimous First Team All American on all 5 All American lists. Pro Football Focus graded him as the #1 linebacker in the country.

Wonder if he will enter the draft?

That would be interesting. His 40-time isn’t the greatest. He would not be an early pick.

It really hurt to lose him.

However, it is indisputable that this was a good move for Ivan personally.

He never would have gotten All American status at Miami. Not because he did not deserve it but because he did not have the platform to be recognized.

4 Likes

Well, seeing as though Sam Sloman was named a 3rd team All American I don’t totally agree, but I think by and large your point is mostly valid.

1 Like

This just confirms Chuck Martin and his staff know how to identify, recruit and sign talented players.

2 Likes

One of the draft sites has Pace as a late rounder to Pittsburgh….

My point was that Pace was a first team CONSENSUS All American. The means he was first team on every generally recognized All American team.

No Miami player in history has ever achieved that distinction. Bob Babich was the closest as he was named first team on four All American teams.

Sam Sloman was actually 2nd team on The Athletic AA team according to Miami media guide.

Ben was only named 3rd team AA in 2003 with AP. No recognition on any other lists.

Paul Dietzel, Brad Cousino, Travis Prentice and Curt McMillan are others to get one AA selection. Could not more than one. No way close to consensus like Pace.

2 Likes

I thought we had at least one consensus All American. But again, I also thought my screenplay entitled “Smokey and the Bandit 4: Son of a Bandit” would have been green lighted by Hollywood so I might be wrong here.

Didn’t Pace earn freshman AA honors? I realize that is easier, and allows for more mid-major players to earn that distinction… but he at least earned a honor at Miami. That said, I think it says more about the voting/candidate system that only after he transfers does he get full consensus recognition.

I’ll say this about Pace… I wasn’t pumped when he left but the dude stayed and played in the bowl game last year. That is not something a lot of guys would do knowing they’re bolting.

5 Likes

Brian Pillman was a 2nd team AA (Associated Press) in 1983 behind some guy from Clemson named William Perry.

3 Likes

The Miami media guide for this year does not indicate that Pace got freshman AA honors.

We had others that have achieved that honor on at least one frosh AA which is clearly easier to get.

All info from Miami media guide
Big Ben. 1st team (FWAA) 3rd team Sporting News
Matt Pusateri 3rd Sporting News
Terrell Jones 3rd Sporting News
Kent McCullough 1st Sporting News
Deland McCullough 1st Football News
Gary Layton 3rd Football News

Is there a lack of emphasis at the U.?

Son of Bandit. Practically writes itself. Genius

1 Like

thanks much! the premise is simple although since Burt is no longer with us, it’s never going to get made.

in the movie, Burt discovers he has a son (Shia LaBeouf) he never new existed because you know, Burt and his womanizer ways. when they first meet, it’s vinegar and oil, but it turns out the son has grown up doing the same thing dad does (rum running/drug mule etc!) so there’s instant respect although dad doesn’t think much of his tuner car since it’s a Mitsubishi Galant that’s been overly tuned. finally, they patch things up and the son agrees to help him on one last job. the trans am is dusted off in the garage where it’s been sitting for 30 years, and while Burt wants to drive, at this point it’s pretty clear his depth perception/night vision isn’t great, so he begrudgingly turns the wheel over to the prodigal son. along the way, we watch them rebuild their relationship via a series of close mishaps with the law and they even stop at a small “comfort” hotel run by Sally Fields who Burt still keeps in contact with. she makes a remarkably good lasagna. The movie ends with them delivering an ample payload of high quality weed to their customer in New York. of course, the joke here is that weed can be delivered to your door in many states including New York so the son is pissed they didn’t figure this out sooner and calls dad a dumbass. Burt gets pissed and tells him he can walk on back home to California and speeds off in the Trans Am. We think Shia is pissed about this again, but he smiles as the dust of the road crosses the frame as if to say “not bad you old polecat. not bad.” and we roll credits.

A true bad ass. Loved watching him play.

3 Likes