It’s the coach’s fault

3 Likes

Those last two paragraphs look like a big “up yours!” to visiting schools. If that’s their official opinion I would agree that we ought to push back for relief on the ticket allocation issue.

4 Likes

We are entitled to 5,000 tickets. I say we demand that we receive that allotment. Don’t like it, NW? Too f’n bad. You made this mess. Deal with it. Sounds like they want the BIG to bail them out. OK, for conference games. But not for us. You want our tickets? Fine–pay the max, which appears to be $460 each. So, we give you 2,500 of our tickets.You give us a check for $1,150,000. You want them all? Write the check for $2.3M. If your ticket sales are so good, you will get that money back. We want to keep ~500 for family, etc, reduce our allotment to 4,500. And, of course, you pay the $1M, or whatever, per the appearance fee. If you can pay $800M for a 35,000 seat stadium, which is a cost of $22,857.14 per seat, you can pay us.
Sayler–do not bend. If you do, I, for one, will be royally pissed!

3 Likes

I hope we stomp the ever loving hell out of them.

7 Likes

They really seem like a bush-league program…sort of the UC of the Big 10

3 Likes

They share mid-major qualities for sure.

2 Likes

How did I know? Adam Rittenberg, the espn writer who wrote this piece of shit column, is a grad of–Northwestern.
Yes, “only they” could pull off this monumental screwup. “Only they” could be sitting here not knowing what the hell they are doing weeks before the season starts. “Only they” could be forced to scramble to put together the pieces of this mess. “Only they” could graduate a writer who is so obviously biased and a shill for the NW athletic department, the president of the school, the BOT, the fans, and all those who choose to donate to these intellectually challenged leaders of this “elite” university. “Only they” are unwilling to admit how badly they have dealt with this mess and caused harm to their reputation.
“Only they” will take such a beating on August 31 that it will reverberate throughout the NW community, the BIG 10, college football, espn, and Adam Rittenberg’s “Wildcat den”.
Like aba222, I look forward to us crushing them. Can’t wait.

1 Like

What makes it fascinating (and frustrating) is that this whole situation is all because they’re building a stadium that’ll cost nearly a billion dollars and be the nicest 35K seat facility conceivable. Northwestern is a world class university that has its shit together for the most part and has managed big athletic projects before, but either put the B team on this or the whole Fitzgerald debacle caused their leadership to lose their minds.

Imo they’re banking on a future where we’re sitting around in a decade where this temp field feels like a quirky memory instead of an embarrassment, even if it means a ridiculous two seasons. I guess you have a lot of room to fail when the Ryan family is writing nine-figure checks routinely.

2 Likes

Mike Bloomberg gave $1B for med school students tuition at Johns Hopkins.

Pat Ryan (former AON CEO) is donating $1B for a stadium that, at most, will be used for 6 football games a year … maybe 7 if there’s a bowl game.

I’d be happy with a Miami guy donating $1B for student tuition than a replacement for Millett Hall. Seems less d-baggy.

2 Likes

We are going to take NW’s place in the BIG10 after relegation.

2 Likes

Do you guys really think we are going to get anything from Northwestern for those 5,000 tickets? I would be surprised if we get anything but a thank you for giving up 4,500 of those seats

2 Likes

We have a contract. While there is a “work with me a little” attitude amongst most ADs I suspect we will extract our pound of flesh. We don’t really need the tickets, they do.

My guess is we might get some preferential scheduling in a couple of sports in exchange for relinquishing or reducing our ticket allotment.

3 Likes

If it is contractual, then NW might not have a choice. MU would have the upper hand and should push them on this. Are we afraid they might not want to play us again?
We OWN NW (7-3 record) so when and if we win again, that might be the case that they do not want to play us again.
I hope our AD plays hardball with NW. This is NW’s problem and not our problem so stick it to them. Maybe getting some home BB games from them could be worth it. (Like 2 men’s and 2 women’s games - all at our home) OR just double our check…

1 Like

I hope an equitable solution can be reached between the two universities.

1 Like

No offense intended Nescacdad but an “equitable” solution? Hell no! I want to ream them a new one! We hold the cards and since the BIG and SEC/P4 want to ream the G5, I say all is fair in love and war. They–the Big10–have no interest in an “equitable” solution to a fair distribution of the media money that pays each Big 10 school $100,000,000/yr. They have the upper/heavy hand in those negotiations and are using it to our and all G5 programs detriment. Recent court rulings are going to dramatically and negatively impact us and further enrich them.
So now, we have a chance to reciprocate. I say we take no prisoners!

4 Likes

This seems like the infamous Pig War on San Juan Island between the US and Great Britain. Instead of the two countries going to war over a minor incident - the killing of a pig - , cooler heads prevailed and no hostilities ensued.

The continuing cordial and cooperative relationship between two great Midwest universities far supercedes a Miami football fan’s desire to seek revenge on the Big10 and SEC.

2 Likes

For all the supposed intelligence collected at NW, I’m amazed none of it was devoted to properly planning for this…

3 Likes

I bet they don’t discuss the Pig War on the OU board!

3 Likes

Testimony to their ignorance of our shared American history.

The Pig War is a regular topic of discussion on Arkansas boards.