It’s the coach’s fault

so is this:

Let NW pick up MU’s tab for the House settlement that will be used to pay P4 football players. MU prob on the hook for $300k+/yr (if the settlement is implemented).

1 Like

Notice who one of the American commanders was.

So the Pig War was also known as the Northwestern Boundary War. I see a clear connection now.

1 Like

I thought it was a song on Pink Floyd’s “Animals” album … but what do I know?

Since it hasn’t been mentioned, George Pickett was one of the American commanders on San Juan Island. That George Pickett…

Yes indeed. Fascinating. And all the future combatants knew each other well, both from their West Point days, and serving together in the Mexican War.

1 Like

“Revenge”? Or payback? Or, as Michael Corleone said, “It’s not personal. It’s strictly business.”
For instance, power politics by the major conferences have divided the CFP money where approx 91% of the $1.3B annually will go to the Big10, the SEC, Big 12 and ACC while 61 P5 programs will divide 9% of the $1.3B/yr. Is that an “equitable” division? It will pay to each Big10 and SEC $21M each. The ACC will receive $13M and Big 12 (ie UC) $12M. Each G5 school will receive approx $2M. I thought the NCAA was intended to promote all programs according to the division they participate with a degree of equity?

The NCAA bball championship has an element of equity whereby smaller conferences have an opportunity to participate. Would they win it or make millions? In most years, no. But fairness, and equity, to each conference was provided in the Field of 68. Now there is talk of expanding the NCAA tourney to 70+ schools.Only those schools that are seeded 10th or above receive an automatic bid. The rest, meaning the MAC and other “mid’majors” most years, would have to win a play in game to be part of the tourney. Fair? Equitable?

Read this article to see what the powers are doing to enrich themselves at the expense of the lesser programs–meaning us.

So, NW, who can’t compete anymore than BG for the CFP, receives $21M/yr for CFP. Plus, $100M/yr from Big10 fball media contract. What happens when the major powers eliminate the bottom feeders in their conference? The Big10 schools would receive at least $121M/yr without NW. An additional ~$10M/yr per school. Maybe cut Minnesota. No big TV market and another $121M. Or Iowa? Same answer. Think when that happens “equity” will be on the minds of the other AD’s? No. Only the almighty $$$.

So, I shed no crocodile tears for the position we hold over NW due to their inept handling of the stadium issue. Revenge? Ok. Call it what you want. It’s business in the current world of collegiate athletics and we are in a position to help ourselves. Convince me that we shouldn’t when NW approved the division of monies as stated above, all to our detriment. You think they considered us, the MAC, or other G5 programs when they gleefully voted to accept this division? The proof is in their vote.

1 Like

I agree we should fight but since we dont seem to have any idea on tickets as of July 18 my guess is we are waiting for Northwestern to tell us what to do

1 Like

Nah, the more important individual in the Pig War is 2nd Lieutenant Henry Martyn Robert, author of Robert’s Rules of Order.

2 Likes

I think it’s coming - prob not for 3-5 yrs tho. One massive league with regional divisions. Baseline rev to all with a credit system (think NCAA BB but weighted more for success) to reward those performers. No more $100M/yr free ride for NW, Vandy, etc. What will be interesting is how they determine who’s in the big boy league. Top 40-60? 100? G5 schools need to get competitive and brush up on their negotiation skills. They may still be on the hook to pay the House settlement if implemented, so capitalize and make $ or fold and pay for the others.

1 Like

I don’t do requests, but in your case

Hard to believe they were on this isolated island in northern Puget Sound in 1849. To get there they had to sail around Tierra del Fuego.

There are currently 42 options available for the game on Stubhub for a pair of tickets. The price starts at $134 and goes to $694 apiece.