How Much Can Money Buy?

Interesting graphic on NIL money at the Power 4.

Of further interest…

The average starting quarterback in the SEC is earning more in NIL money than Brock Purdy is in the third year of the four year contract he signed with the 49ers when he was drafted in 2022.

His base salary is $985,000 this year.

When it comes to money, it is hard to compete with the SEC.

What I would like to see is NIL comparison of Notre Dame vs. NIU.

There may be limits to what money can buy.

Just makes you sick doesn’t it?

3 Likes

Jedd Fisch devoted the last 5-10 minutes of his weekly press conference yesterday to the Zcampsign for Montlake - an initiative to raise $300 million in three years for the athletics arms race.

I think everyone remotely familiar with college football today would agree that the current system is insane and unsustainable, yet it gets crazier and crazier. At some point I fear the bubble is going to burst.

3 Likes

Tell the dumb dumbs to spend like crazy on college kids. What a great way to plan your retirement. Or their retirement…Me? I’m buying more Nvidia.

I don’t fear it….i want the bubble to burst. And leave steaming flecks of shit all over these schools faces……

6 Likes

Well said. To me it’s like this: A wealthy booster comes around and says: “here is 100k for NIL.” In my world, that’s a lot of vacations. Anniversary presents. Home renovations. Whatever. And the NIL collective says: “Thank you.” But, but, butt…like the booties in early 90’s rap videos, it don’t stop, and it don’t quit. Soon, that 100 large is not enough. Now they want 200. Then 300. Then 4. “ It’s really important” is what they tell you. But unless you are running a counterfeit money press, don’t you pretty much have to tell them you’re tapped out at some point? Assuming you’re not A Beverly Hillbilly? And even then, why would this be a smart use of your money. Is there a tax write off? How on Earth does this dumb shell game continue….

Just learned that Jedd Fisch and his wife gave Washington $1 million to help jumpstart the university’s Win Big Campaign’s Montlake Futures NIL fund.

The only way it ends is with the players being employees under a collective bargaining agreement. That SEC number is insane. I guess it really does matter more there. Sad thing is that all but two or three of those SEC schools would be at or near the bottom of the Big Ten when it comes to actual endowments.

2 Likes

I have zero sympathy for opportunistic TV execs, university admin, coaches, etc. who caused this mess. I hope they get what’s coming to them and if this system collapses it falls on top of them. Unfortunately with how tangled everything is there will almost certainly be collateral damage, innocent parties will suffer while the people who created the problems will be retired, dead, or late enough in their careers to avoid the consequences.

2 Likes

In passing, Miami finished # 426 in The Wall Street Journal’s latest college rankings. Even though the measurables may change somewhat from year to year, the absolute number is not a good look.

It’s a scam. Is an Ohio State U. education elite? Hell no. Yet there they are way above us. Because we don’t offer much in the way of grad school. I stopped trusting this nonsense a long time ago. Totally corrupt. There are schools out where I live in Cali that are total crap getting ranked higher than CalTech on some of these lists. Nonsense.

3 Likes

Any negative publicity sucks, but hopefully not many people will put much stock in a ranking that says Babson is the second best college in America, Ohio Northern is the best college in Ohio and that Chicago and Johns Hopkins are the 75th and 92nd best colleges respectively.

5 Likes

Well said.

1 Like

Going back to NIL, I used to think that paying the athletes was a bad idea, that it should be amateur competition and it makes it a battle of the haves vs. have-nots.

However, when I read that CBS, ESPN/ABC and FOX are paying BILLIONS and getting BILLIONS in ad revenues and subscriptions, while the guys doing the actual work are getting nothing, it changed my mind.

Re: US News and Miami: It’s really skewed, but it only matters as it relates to getting interest from foreign students. Miami’s an exceptional school for undergraduate, it’s attracting plenty of students/not at risk of closing (although some programs are being re-evaluated for relevance, as any good org should), and it’s doing OK. Having solid academics and a winning sports program IMHO does more for domestic student marketing than the US News Rankings…

2 Likes

I think the ranking mentioned is the WSJ ranking, no USNWR.

Hey, speaking of Wall Street, there may soon be an Oxford, OH stop on the Amtrak Cardinal line from NYC to Chicago! Google it if you are curious.

2 Likes

Being from California graduating Miami this past year showed me how undervalued Miami’s education is. The majority of my friends from home are still looking for jobs almost all going to California schools compared to almost all of my friends from Miami having jobs right out of college.

5 Likes

For context, there has been talk of an Amtrak stop in Oxford for years. When you see a platform being built you can start to believe it.

I don’t think anyone really pays attention to WSJ, Forbes, Washington Monthly or any of the other ones. Nobody really understands their methodology, and they always seem to have some real head scratchers that make people question their credibility. And the global rankings are largely based on research, faculty and doctoral factors that don’t apply to us.

US News is really the only one that matters because it’s the one that parents, prospective students and high school counselors are most likely to reference. It’s also the only one that media outlets across the state will run stories on when it comes out, so it does drive reputation and perception in ways that the others don’t. That’s why I do believe that Miami should take it seriously and take a hard look at what metrics we can improve to at least get back into the top 100.

1 Like