Hendrix has resigned

You as well. Understood.

1 Like

Is their new baby impacting Jermaine’s role? Weird comment to make.

I guarantee the new baby will be impacting Jermaine’s role too :grinning:

2 Likes

Both were successful at their schools prior to coming to Miami. I think AD thought he was getting a low-rent Dawn Staley with Hendrix. Cleve, not sure what it was other than he had a pretty good record elsewhere and got back to that record quickly upon moving back down.

1 Like

My wife thinks I’m kind of a low rent James Bond.

(And by low rent James Bond, I think she means Mr. Bean)

3 Likes

I don’t want another Megan Duffy. She elevated our program quickly, then left quickly when she got a great offer and the program completely went into the dumpster and probably is at its all time lowpoint. I want another Charlie Coles or Darryl Hedric, coaches who played here and won big here as coaches and the success of Miami was their ultimate goal and they thought of Miami as their dream job. I want to see us have a longtime coach with great success like Tricia Cullop at Toledo. Think of Carolyn Condit or our field hockey coach. I still believe our best move would be to hire Colleen Day Henderson and hopefully her husband Jermaine and give them the chance to build a great program at Miami. I think it would be a dream job for them and I believe they would get it done.

2 Likes

MAC ADs don’t lose their jobs over bad women’s basketball program hires. If it happens that way and she flops it certainly doesn’t look good, but football/hoops/hockey are ultimately what drives Miami.

3 Likes

Some say “if you consider Miami a destination, then we don’t want you, you don’t have enough desire to win”. Not only is that insulting to Miami, it ignores that there are individuals who do consider Miami their destination job, and will do everything they can to make that job a success. Because if they don’t, their destination job will be no more. For Colleen Day Henderson, Miami is her destination job. And that is a great thing.

3 Likes

Miami is undoubtedly her destination job right now.

It was the same for Mick Cronin at UC and Chris Mack at Xavier.

However, when the money comes calling and you think about your family and your future other priorities change.

You are correct that an AD does not lose their job for one bad hire of a women’s basketball coach.

However, when it is combined with a string of other hires that were failures it is a different story.

This will be Sayler’s third hire of a women’s basketball coach.

He had to fire his initial men’s basketball hire. His hockey hire has yet to have a winning season and is 28-90-13 in four years.

The good news is that right now the football job looks to have become a destination position providing stability to the program but without any success close to Miami’s historical standards.

2 Likes

I like our AD a lot but this is unfortunately an accurate description

1 Like

Good observations! Especially on point about football - stability but at a mediocre level. And we can’t forget about the current status of baseball - mired in the throws of another .300 something season and routinely giving up at least 10 runs in about a third of our games.

While I will not disagree about this being predominantly on the AD, I think we can’t lose sight of the fact that institutionally, Miami does not seem to prioritize athletics. And that lies at the feet of the BoT.

2 Likes

Agree to disagree when it comes to CDH. Not everyone is Cronin and/or Mack. Some people have different priorities.

I’m kind of new here…LaxDaddy, are you a Miami grad? “Greater risk” to the AD? When a program loses its top 3 returning players to transfer portal thinking that Miami University has done all it can for them and they want to end their basketball careers in supposed greener pastures…well, that should be the real risk to his job status. I am a Miami grad. I do not recognize the women’s bball program anymore. Student athletes that came here during my time, after my time and during Day-Henderson’s time chose Miami over more notable, “power” programs and conferences. Call it nostalgic alum dreams, Red/White elitism, “of Ohio” add-on hatred…I hope, want, pray that the Administration wakes up. This program is now in the dumpster as said by others in previous posts. Bring in one who if she had a more “power” school name on her resume as a player and/or a coach, there wouldn’t be any push back. FYI, she chose Miami even with All Amer. AAU and All Ohio status. She led Miami. She then recruited and coached others here and Akron to All MAC and even intl. professional career status. She furthered her own professional development with a Masters and then a Doctorate…from Miami. Who does that? Time to be Miami University, class of the MAC and the region as we were. I don’t want any more mailings from this current Athletic Dept promoting “Graduating Champions” and asking for $$$ if they choose to not hire one of those “Champions”.

3 Likes

Was your announcement going to be that you wore your daughter down finally and she’s now going to come to Miami? :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, I am a Miami grad. In fact, I have been closely following Miami athletics longer than most people on this board have been alive. Both parents were Miami grads. My wife. My brother. All three of my children. Long time season ticket holder for football and MBB. Miami didn’t even have an official women’s team until a couple years after I graduated. When I was there I attended a couple of club like games in Herron Hall ( I think it was later named Phillips Hall after I left).

I appreciate the fervor and passion some on the board are showing for Colleen. I know the stakes are high for her in this. Her husband secured a job in Dayton and Miami would be a perfect fit for their family in many ways.

You say you do not recognize Miami’s women’s basketball anymore. I don’t think any of us do.

However, if you look at the facts there have never really been any true glory years for the program.

After almost 50 years of existence there is one NCAA appearance. Two if you count the AIWA appearance in 1982. Two conference championships in 50 years.

The reality is that Colleen just doesn’t have the resume to match up with other candidates that are out there.

One advantage that she has is that in looking at some lists of the most attractive women’s assistant BB coaches judged to be good candidates for head jobs there are few in the Midwest. Box at IU and Morrow at OSU look most viable. Iowa’s top assistant Jan Jensen would be great but I can’t see her leaving Iowa after her long tenure there unless it is a Power 5 top tier situation. There are a lot of good candidates in the SEC, Big 12 etc but I think we are better served with someone that knows the Midwest.

Perhaps the Miami job has sunk to such a low that those candidates will not show interest. However, a head coaching job at any D1 school is a rare opportunity for any coach.

I don’t know Colleen personally and she may have the intangibles to overcome the other factors. I would assume David Sayler knows her well enough having been on the staff with Maria and Cleve that he is capable of making a “Tom Butters” decision if he feels she has IT.

If she gets the job I will be 1000% supportive of the hire. I just think a dose of realism is needed when we assess situations like this.

This will be his 4th WBB hire, correct? Wright, Duffy, Hendrix.

Thanks for the correction. He has hired three thus far. This will be four.

@MotherMiami I appreciate your sentiments but I have been watching Miami women’s basketball since 1980. I’ve seen the good, the bad and the ugly. Doesn’t matter, nobody in administration, either at the department level or university level cares much about women’s basketball. That isn’t going to change. We could become a perennial MAC power and it wouldn’t matter to them.