Game Week - Robert Morris

Was encouraged coming into this season for the first time in a while. Guess that’s on me for getting my hopes up. Looks like a 6-6 year and holding our breath for a bowl.

1 Like

Inexcusable has happened to us before. This is tragic. This is get sent to the principal’s office kind of thing. One more time I am left to think -Does not anyone on the sideline have the guts to tell the head guy anything?

4 Likes

Sounds like Will Jados, 6-7 305 to start…LT.

Aveon Smith up…maybe legit dual threat?

1 Like

Going to find out how good these QB’s are. Will miss Brett but maybe/hopefully/optimistically the 2’s and maybe even the 3rd will be a pleasant surprise.

Next defense really has to keep it going. UK had what…50 yards. Yes their #1 back was out but a #2 SEC type player should be able to more than hold his own against a MAC guy and do better than 1.9 yards/carry. Take away the return and fumble we held them to 23 which isn’t bad.

College football is always next up. Especially these days. Guys graduate and/or transfer and good programs have good 2’s ready to step in. And they’re not always seasoned and have lots of reps but they step in and are ready to go.

We’re going to find out.

We’ve recruited well and I don’t think the ship is sinking. Just sprung a few leaks. Wait and see.

7 Likes

Good post. But QB play is still the strongest indicator of a team’s success and we have not a single QB with any meaningful experiences going into two difficult OOC games. I am hopeful as always but not optimistic about starting any better than 1-3 and possibly 1-4.

3 Likes

is Brett done for the season ? yes beyond stupid to have him in the game when a win was not possible.

1 Like

Doesn’t sound like he’s out for the season, but certainly a few weeks at least

1 Like

We have like quality 8 running backs. We can still win here. Just going to be a little different than a pass first offense.

1 Like

still have to pass effectively. otherwise Miami will see 8 in the box.

1-3 start now almost certain. hope I am DEAD wrong.

1 Like

Run first doesn’t negate passing. Anyhow, I guess we will find out soon enough.

1 Like

The AJ Mayer irony here is hard to ignore…anyway I think Smith may surprise.

Northwestern still in play…if something goes our way, UC was always tilted in the loss direction, so not a lot has changed.

It sucks…but could be fun if we get things going as a running team. Unleash Tyre, Mozee, Tracy and Brunson…lot of short passes to Davis. Also run Smith, Aveon that is…

1 Like

In combination Smith & Hesson may be a high caliber option.

7 Likes

I see what you did there…dual threat might work, I know many do not like the revolving door though.

2 Likes

Maybe Aveon Smith will be the reincarnation of Sherman Smith… would be a very pleasant happening.

“Dual threat” = “get the next guy ready”.

1 Like

Notre Dame fans would point to the legendary bone breaks of Ron Powlus in the mid-late 1990’s. I’d never seen anything like what he went thru

I don’t know about you all, but I saw enough AJ to move on after last year…he struggled to throw the ball down field.

Maybe Aveon has enough running ability to make things interesting, but doubt it leads to anything other than 1-3 ooc before MAC play.

A couple of things here:
None of know the dynamics of why Brett was in the game. Smith was clearly expecting to gone back in prior to Gabbert engaging Martin. Did Brett lobby to stay in? Did Chuck think he could get better experience for the backups with Brett at QB? We don’t know.

We seem to have decent depth in the OL (especially when Borders is back). We have depth and experience at TE that should carry us well until Coldiron’s return.

Expect the QB situation to take a couple of games to mature. Moving to a dual threat offense is not going to happen overnight if that is the plan. If the plan is to stay consistent to what we would do with Brett, timing and chemistry will have to develop. Gabbert had a 55% check comp percentage with 3 TDs and 5 INTs with 45 Carrie’s for 5 yards in his first 6 games so let’s be patient for a couple of weeks. After that, we should know more about Brett’s return and the future of the position.

3 Likes

Except that Sherman Smith is still very much alive.

1 Like

Coaches make those decisions, not players lobbying…anyway the future is now.

Let’s go, no excuses, someone step up. Aveon was 3 star recruit, been in system for awhile now.

Maybe Coldiron is an amazing healer…or probably typo. Sort of surprised that Holskey does not move to LT, but maybe easier to insert Jados (means he’s ready I suppose)

2 Likes