Game Week Northwestern

UK and UC defense will be the best Miami will see this season. NW has given up lots of points each game…

the OL should protect Smith better this week and the running game should get 150 + yards.

Miami’s run D was good vs UC as it has been all through 3 games.

Pass D has been awful . Hopefully improves vs NW.

1 Like

Finally, we have a P5 game we should actually win. Let’s see how we handle that.

1 Like

Exactly and mix it up with a direct snap to RB, like they did…throw some screens and paly action…could get interesting on offense and/or effective.

Ironically I called for Bolden to lineup as a FB, and he did once against UC and he made a solid block…for Tracy.

Pass D has been picking on Mckee (new kid?) as he adjusts, but he’s been beat a bunch.

McKee is the transfer from Mercer. Cincy threw to their taller receivers at him on fades. McKee is pretty small - listed at 5’10 but pretty slight build. Good skills but small.

1 Like

Pat Fitzgerald Miami week Monday press conference

This looks like good news. Sold out!

https://www.miamialum.org/s/916/22/Interior.aspx?sid=916&gid=1&pgid=19370&cid=37308&ecid=37308&crid=0&calpgid=1705&calcid=4106

1 Like

Is it really a medical redshirt? Or a regular redshirt?
Brett never took a regular redshirt year as he started his true freshman year.
He had his Covid year.
I thought you could have a regular redshirt if you did not play in over 4 games in the year.
If a regular redshirt Brett would still maintain potential for a medical redshirt if he was unlucky a second time.

1 Like

I agree that Brett being hurt probably increases chances he stays.

He would be foolish to leave for a P5 program unless he was absolutely guaranteed to start.
Of course, that is tough with the typical store of QB talent at most P5 schools. If he wants to have a chance at the NFL he will be best served by getting the most game reps he can.

The one caveat to that is if Brett saw an opportunity to start for two years that gives him more value to schools who are looking beyond a one year fix.

As to Missouri, they have a Sophomore starting who has two years of eligibility remaining in 2023 and 2024. I guess any opportunity there will depend on how the current QB plays this season.

Give it to me straight- assuming Brett is in fact done for the year, is there much reason to still be excited for this season? Are we simply no longer MAC East favorites, or are we talking not even bowl eligible?

I think Brett needs to show he can play a full season before he becomes an attractive transfer target.

This is an unknown. A lot depends on how Aveon develops and improvement by our young DB’s. Maybe we can still accomplish a lot, maybe not.

2 Likes

I think CM was hedging his bets on the possibility of Brett returning this year. If Aveon and or Henry, if needed, have success and get us to the MACC and a bowl, then I don’t think he pans to use Brett at all this season. But if we find ourselves without a healthy QB late in the season and still have a chance at something, it would seem like he might consider bringing Brett back if he regains his health. My hunch is that we won’t see him again until the Miami of Florida game next Labor Day…

You’ll all be better off eating my meat in the west parking lot, starting at 3pm. Tammy Walker will be with us as well.

5 Likes

Just watched Coach Fitzgerald’s presser. He was very complimentary to Miami, our linebacker play, and called us essentially the toughest opponent they will have faced thus far this season. Also extremely respectful to our tradition.

Noticeable to me was his lack of outward frustration, panic, or lack of belief in his squad. Hoping that Coach Martin’s confidence in Aveon pays dividends in his development, and also that this team goes up there PREPARED and with a plan.

1 Like

If it’s any sign of how things are going Northwestern, their punter is featured on their game week email:

1 Like

Fitzgerald said in his press conference that there were no offensive or defensive players of the game to be named. He did accolade a special teams player; don’t recall if it was the punter.

I think there is some level of “team” mentality there - they dropped the game to SIU. No reason to go around giving accolades….

Do we have any status update on Shelton? He looked really good in limited time against Kentucky and hasn’t played in the last two games.

Update on Bester, as well?

Yes please, Shelton update?

Neither Bester nor Shelton are listed in today’s two-deep. Wise is listed. Don’t know how trustworthy the two deeps are.

Feel bad for both who were so great in 2019. No MAC Title without them. Sad neither has really played since. 3 years now not looking good.

3 Likes