Football Spring Practice

How has the equipment sale been the past few years? Been a few years since I’ve attended

Moll, I assume the NFL South is aware of our “positioning” and is supportive?

=>I do not recall that being said specifically one way or the other.

Everyone take note of this!!! Chuck emphasized it more than once. “Give me 10 dollars, I have 20”. So if you are thinking of giving, here is another good reason to.

1 Like

I agree it was hard to know what we could say and what we couldnt and Molls summary is good

I would also say this.

Chuck seemed very happy with our depth he just wasnt sure how many high end players we have

Chuck seemed much more tolerant of this years non conference schedule (even though I would think it was similar to last years). He correctly mentioned the basketball schedule and how he has been dreaming about that type of schedule for years

Chuck isnt up on zoom. He couldnt find someone who was talking- someone who had their hand up for a question nor any of the comments/questions in the chat :grinning_face:

Another thing Coach Martin emphasized is that football, not basketball, drIves conference realignment. He pointed out that Kansas, UConn & Duke are where they are because their football does not measure up to the other power conferences. He would like Miami to be ready to “Move Up” in case something happens to the MAC or other opportunities arise when the ACC inevitably reshuffles in 2031. He notes there has never been more support and more agreement from the Administration and The Board of Trustees.

1 Like

The big difference: college basketball’s big moneymaker (March Madness) is controlled by the NCAA, college football’s (the regular season) is controlled by the conferences.

Game day!

1 Like

More like controlled practice day, but it’s a good time.

1 Like

https://x.com/MiamiOHFootball/status/2047994031259443219?s=20

For TG sympathizers, note who is on the marketing materials

1 Like

So is jones and i don’t think he’ll start over the FCS running back we got

Anyone have a good summary of how things went today? Ballcoach1 used to do this.

1 Like

I was at the showcase but the format and being inside Dauch makes it difficult to really take much in.

I spend most of time focusing on the quarterbacks.

David McComb looks to have a real strong arm. He was throwing some fairly long passes on a string with a lot of zip.

However, he seems to throw with a little sidearm action which I found troubling as he is not taking advantage of his 6’4” height.

Gotkowski throws a very nice ball. He is very accurate but has to put a lot more air under the ball than McComb on longer throws.

Nothing real big stood out with Heavner. He does look like he belongs which is not surprising in that he started a lot of games at his prior school.

There was one other QB (#19) in the drills. That number was not listed on the roster. Looked to have pretty good size. It might be Bellisari but I did not think that he was an early enrollee.

Whoever it was had a pretty pronounced sidearm throwing motion. I would think that needs to be cleaned up or he is going to see a lot of ball batted back in his face.

McComb started with the 1’s. However, Thomas G. took the second series of reps with the 1’s.

D.Jones started in the backfield with the 1’s. Ringer was with the 2’s.

I was surprised that Scoop Smith got reps with the 1’s playing in the slot.

The kid is really small at 5-5 and he very much sticks out in a crowd.

I did not really notice Rodney Nelson. True freshman Chancellor Sparks got some reps.

Guys like McCain and Uihlein were LB 1’s

Transfer CJ Young and Blaine Myrick were in the rotation at LB with the 2’s

A number of guys were not dressed—Grant Lyons, Mychal Yharborough, Cade Yacamelli were ones that I remember seeing who were not in pads. There were a lot more.

Kellen McLaughlin has thunder in his leg. I guess the question will be whether he can be as accurate as the placekicker we have been blessed with the last few years.

2 Likes

I hope this doesn’t stand. They are all conference players for a reason

1 Like

This is most optimistic I have ever heard Chuck after spring practice. Loves the QBs, WR, OL, and especially the LBs.

If you talk to coaches in Western PA, the best, most dynamic player this past year was Scoop Smith. Be glad he is only 5’5" because if he were bigger, we wouldn’t have him. He can flat-out play.

As an undersized football and basketball player in WPIAL myself (tennis as well, American Legion for baseball :grinning_face:), I still follow Western PA high school sports closely. And I have a soft spot for the little guys like me!

1 Like

He was almost giddy! Sets the bar pretty high.

I don’t doubt Scoop’s speed and elusiveness. However, as we know Chuck is not one to often give a true freshman significant playing time (Gabbert excepted). The fact that Scoop was right in the mix does say that he can flat out play.

Coach told a story about Snoop (who is from Pittsburgh) saying that he is visualizing taking the opening kickoff back for a td. Martin says “you are a true freshman- you wont be on the bus”. Scoop says “come on coach you know that aint true” and Martin has to admit “you’re right”

3 Likes

He has already told Scoop that he will be on the travel squad to Pittsburgh to face Pitt and will play!

1 Like