FCS Playoffs

The importance of ST reared its head tonight in the first quarter final game. Furman played at Montana. The Paladins gave up a 97 yard opening kickoff TD return and a 68 yard fourth quarter punt return for a TD.

After giving up 14 points on ST, Furman trailed 28-21 when they took over at their own 35 with 1:52 and no TO. They drove to the 13 yard line and hit the TD pass to a 6’7 TE on 4th down with 16 seconds left.

Paladins went for two to win and the pass was incomplete. Motion penalty erased the play and Furman kicked the PAT to tie it and send it to OT…

Griz win 35-28 in OT.

That was a heck of a game.

1 Like

While Montana’s fans brought their typical craziness (in sub-freezing weather), I think Furman fans actually won the night. One sign read “BIG DIN ENERGY” (in reference to the Paladins mascot) but Furman’s rally towels really put them over the top…

4 Likes

Loved the FU towels!

Go Griz!

2 Likes

That was a fun game to watch!

1 Like

So S Dakota has the same fight song as us? I was listening and found my self signing and was like hey wait!

2 Likes

Furman fans are outstanding. Cousin played there so we’d go to most of the games and playoffs. Some of the chants were absolute top drawer.

“F U one time!
F U two times!
F U ALLLLL THE TIME”

I suspect given their disdain for App State we’ll have quite a few Furman fans pulling for us next week….

2 Likes

Yep, the exact same song.

1 Like

Welcome. Ps, even if your name isn’t Andy, I’m gonna just pretend you are Andy G.

1 Like

U Chicago uses ours as well, though with a little less exposure in DIII than they’d have if they were still in the Big Ten.

1 Like

Yep

2 Likes

UChicago wasn’t D3 when they began using Wave the Flag. They had the initial Heisman Trophy winner. My kid went to law school there and told me they still have the Heisman in their athletics offices.

The guy who wrote the fight song had connections to both Miami and UChicago. Actually we use the Maroons song. As mentioned SDSU uses it too.

Lower division post season > FBS

2 Likes

Other way around. We were first. Raymond Burke went to U Chicago but wrote/composed the Miami March Song when he was teaching at Miami (he also founded the Men’s Glee Club). The Maroons later stole the tune from us.

1 Like

You’re right. I couldn’t remember Burke’s name but knew he’d been involved associated with both universities. He was a Maroon alum. I also forgot that the name of the song was “The Miami Marching Song.”

Our band director at Centerville when I was there in the mid 60s was a Miami alum named Don Pieffer. The Elks had our own unique fight song and alma mater but Don always has us play two other fight songs in the stands and especially in parades. The names on the printed sheet music were “Buckeye Battle Cry” and “Wave the Flag.”

Check out the first cut on this album from 1929. Priceless!

https://www.google.com/search?q=wave+thd+flag+guy+lombardo&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:59006e89,vid:_WlBpQWmubc,st:0

1 Like

NESCACDAD. Where do you dig this stuff up? Amazing!

Just Google, a lot if free time and an overload of curiosity. Sounds like a Miami New Years Eve. Next cut should probably be Auld Lang Syne.

I like seeing new blood win big and my father-in-law went to Albany, so I’m all aboard the Dane Train. Better then than seeing a Dakota or Montana school win for what feels like the twentieth time in a row.

1 Like