FCS Playoffs

I attended three Idaho games in the “Kibbie Dome” in 1974 - when it was still an outdoor stadium. Vandals should have had the advantage last night but they failed to capitalize.

There’s a TE on this UAlbany team from the local high school here in Wilmington, NC that lost the big school state championship game last night up at NC State.

Going to be a tough assignment for the Danes next week in cold, windy Brookings.

1 Like

See, people point to the FCS as being obviously a better setup, but it’s mostly dominated in later rounds by the MVFC and Big Sky, like the B1G and SEC in FBS conversation. And this year even had NDSU playing the role of Alabama as “team that could easily win it all but gets a really dubious at-large bid over more deserving competition.”

Hopefully Albany can make some noise.

1 Like

Who got left out that was more deserving than NDSU?

Cincinnati. I feel like they’re a really, really good FCS team this year.

1 Like

When did Albany start going by UAlbany? I think just this season?

1 Like

My personal preference for an FCS-style playoff is less around competitive balance and more on principle. Yes their playoff is dominated by a small number of schools and an FBS equivalent would likely be dominated by the new Big Ten and SEC, but college football is the only sport of its kind without a true playoff where every team has a clear path to the championship without any committee deciding who’s legit or not.

2 Likes

NDSU would be 5 point neutral site favorites over UC, per Sagarin.

I like the format.

1 Like

A lot of this is that if you’re a good FCS team in a different part of the country then you’ll get a chance to move up to a FBS conference, which many have: Georgia Southern, Marshall, App State and JMU to name a few

2 Likes

Since everyone in media refers to Miami as Miami of Ohio, the acronym MofO is right there for the taking. Will it happen?

1 Like

I think that one’s yours. We were referred to as Miami of Ohio for decades before all of a sudden the late Doug Wilson lobbied for a stoppage - creating mild indignation (clutching of pearls) at the use of the traditional moniker for one generation of Miamians. No one called us MofO during the prior period.

1 Like

Actually South Dakota State has same fight song as Miami not South Dakota.

2 Likes

Yep. It’s the Jackrabbits, not the Coyotes.

Montana v NDSU…… wowwie wow!

Randy (Stearnes) was working for Glen Alford (SID) at Idaho State University around 79-80. ( I was at Miami for 5 years). For “Economics In Sports” class, Randy helped me with a research project on the economic impact of the Idaho State Minidome on the local community.

1 Like