Eastern Michigan men at Miami Saturday at 1:00

ESPN+. Miami is 7-8 (1-2) 5-2 at home. EMU is 8-7 (1-2). Miami leads the all time series 53 to 29 but the Eagles have won 8 of the last 12. Eastern has been good in games decided by under 10 points, going 7-2. They are coached by the veteran Stan Heath who is 235-258 all time.

Eastern will be a fun team to watch as they have some talented individuals. JR guard Tyson Acuff is 5th in the nation in scoring at 22ppg and is also 5th in the nation in minutes per game at 37.9mpg. Sophomore guard Orlando Lovejoy has scored 14 or more points in 6 straight games, so their two top guards have been contributing just a little under 40 ppg lately. Fr Arnies Osujink is averaging 8.3ppg, which is third among MAC freshmen Ryan Sabol and Evan Ipsaro. JR Yusuf Jihad is shooting 48.5% on threes, third in the MAC. Their top rebounder is Julius Ellerbe at 4.9 rpg.

We seem to have settled in with a starting lineup of Hunter and Bultman on the wings, Elmer and Potter inside, and Cooper at the point. So two 5th year guys and 3 freshmen. However, that means 3 guys who were injured starters are now coming off the bench in Ipsaro, Morris, and Mirambeaux. Plus Mabry has been scoring well off the bench.

1 Like

Sounds like Evan will play through a sprained ankle and Dean (shoulder) will hopefully return within the next couple weeks. Morris also dealing with leg injury (?).

1 Like

Fun Fact: This will the 50th straight year the two schools have met on the court.

2 Likes

Line out here in Mesquite ( I have been in Nevada for 5 weeks, starting a long, cold drive home tomorrow) is Miami -6.5.

1 Like

Just turned it on. 12-7 Miami at the under 12.

1 Like

Anderson came in and promptly forced a shot while triple teamed, and then shot a three, which I don’t think pleased Steele.

1 Like

Bultman, Elmer, Morris, and Potter all on the court at the same time.

2 Likes

EMU offensive rebound among three white jerseys, and then we foul the 3-point shooter. 18-12 MU with 9:30 to go.

Seems like Baultman has adjusted to the speed of D1 basketball. He scores 5 straight, and it’s 23-12 Miami. Time out Eastern.

1 Like

When we make the extra pass, and move on offense, we are very tough to defend. I know it is cliche but for Miami because we have so many good pieces, it is true. We should never force a shot.

Absent free throws, we would be even further ahead. And the last foul call on Ipsaro was pure bullshit.

2 Likes

Even when we’re missing, we’re making some good passes (except for that last Mabry miss). Led by as many as 13, but it’s down to 7 with 2+ remaining.

Good timeout by Steele. I didn’t like the way the lineup on the floor was playing and my guess is Steele didn’t either. I would get Bultman back on the floor. Cooper not handling EMU press well at all today. A bit careless but Ipsaro has 2 fouls and Dean out. I might let Bultman play PG a bit.

Shooting has gone cold, partly due to poor shot selection. 8-0 EMU run

Last 4 minutes for Miami were poor. Coaches need to talk to Cooper at the half about his excess dribbling. Several times he has dribbled right into the teeth of the D. Pass the ball Mekhi.

2 Likes

We led 31-18 with 4:48 to go, and Eastern closed on a 10-2 run.

I scoffed a bit when a commentator earlier this season said Elmer told him that he modeled his game after LeBron. Running the length of the floor and coming out of nowhere for a chasedown block where your eyes are at rim level is definitely the kind of thing that will make people scoff less at a statement like that.

Bench not helping out much today. Hope it changes in second half.

Western up 10 on OU with under 4 to go, trying to go to 4-0. Don’t think anyone saw this coming.

1 Like

Eastern started out 2 for 15 and was down 31 to 18, then they had a 9-0 run and got back in the game. Mirambeaux is O for 4 but has 4 assists. Pass the ball big guy. Rebounds and turnovers are about even, shooting percentage has been our edge. We are at 44%, they are at 29% after a late run. Foul trouble for both teams, it especially hurt the Eagles as both Acuff and Lovejoy got two early and missed a bunch of minutes.Billingsley and Asojnik also have 2. For us Hunter, Ipsaro, and Morris all have 2

One thing has become apparent as the season has progressed. Our best, most consistent post player is Reece Potter. And Elmer’s game is really progressing nicely.