Doug Shearer

Special Teams coach is headed to UConn

Dang. Dude did a great job with a previously lousy ST unit, and did a solid job developing the replacements for Sloman/Kramer. UConn is lousy but it’s his alma mater and he’s coaching under an ex-NFL HC so it’s not an awful gig (especially since it likely means a raise).

5 Likes

Really? Assistants make more at UConn? That’s embarrassing.

1 Like

Mora is making $1.5 million at UConn. So essentially triple what Chuck makes. Pretty much every MAC team is at the bottom in terms of pay. Didn’t really think that was news

1 Like

He did a great job and built up a solid pipe of ST players. Thanks Coach!

2 Likes

I just read that both of our DCs are leaving but hard to tell why- was on football scoop

1 Like

What’s the cost of living in Oxford vs UConn?

Hauser & Nowitsky to Ohio U according to footballscoop?!?! How can we let that happen?

Maybe Chuck is making the changes?

UConn is a bad football program but they are the flagship university of a state, in the Big East and willing to have a massive deficit. They have money to throw around.

1 Like

I mean, Storrs, Connecticut isn’t exactly NYC. I don’t think cost of living would be all that different.

1 Like

He was well liked…but overall…I mean I’m okay with some new blood coming into the Coaching…never know what it might change/help.

Martin hopefully become DC fulltime…and maybe that’s a good thing…if we can get our DBs to also play some man coverage.

2 Likes

Its curious that both Hauser and Nowitsky are rumored to be going to Ohio U. Its a head-scratcher for a number of reasons:

1. OU’s coach is on thin ice. Play is down. Recruiting is down and the OU administration was smart in structuring his 4-year contract that apparently can be voided after the 2022 season;
  2. I could see 1 coach going to become a true DC but both?

Hauser has been at Miami forever it seems and maybe he’s looking for a change of scenery.

…or perhaps they know something that isn’t public yet. Is CM returning? or is he going to jump on an AC spot at a P5 school?

1 Like

It could be a sign of CM leaving…and I assume our OL coach takes over.

It just seems unlikely with his record overall.

2 Likes

Very odd situation. I had suggested on the old board that Chuck formally take on the DC role and shift the excess money in the assistant pool towards upgrading at OC. There may be more in the works, but I haven’t heard anything about Koehler leaving. Also pretty weird to lose our co-coordinators to a direct rival.

In terms of Chuck leaving for an assistant coaching spot, the only logical one is Brian Kelly’s staff at LSU. He still hasn’t named either coordinator, so I guess it’s still possible. But there haven’t been any rumors of that and Miami’s season has been over for a few days now.

1 Like

He’s a UCONN alum, he has a ton of family there, and they pay way more than Miami

2 Likes

Maybe because the head coach is micro managing the defense?

1 Like

Second best D in the MAC giving up less than 24 points a game. Keep doing your thing, Chuck.

3 Likes

Here is where Miami has been in the MAC in scoring defense in conference games only:

2021 - 1st
2020 - 4th
2019 - 2nd
2018 - 4th
2017 - 3rd
2016 - 3rd

When it comes to playing our conference peers, our defense has been pretty damn good.

3 Likes