Doug Shearer

I know you played and I respect that. But please–he was the DC at ND for a guy who bottom line only cares about himself.And was the OC. He’s the head coach. His job includes the O, the D, special teams, etc.If he wants to “micro manage” the defense, that’s his job. If they stunk on D, who takes the ultimate responsibility? The HC. O, D, ST, recruiting, etc all rest with him.

I didn’t mean my comment to be snarky. Doesn’t really have to do with whether I played or not. To me it’s like working for a micro manager in business. Some people don’t want to do that

IIRC, Shane didn’t have an OC, named or otherwise, because it was known that he would have that role.

Maybe these other coaches just didn’t want the job title only. Maybe their career path to head coach requires a true coordinator role. Maybe not.

1 Like

If I remember I think he was the OC at ND, and DC at Grand Valley.

1 Like

Very well could be. I was repeating something I heard/read maybe all the way back to when Chuck was hired. I probably didn’t pick up the program (GV,ND) he served as those co-ordinator.

I understand your valid point. We have all had to deal with micro-managers during our working years. And I agree that their motivation to leave was as you said. Chuck may, in the next couple seasons, put himself in a solid situation in Oxford. Maybe he will be satisfied. Hell, $550k/yr to live in Oxford and coach ain’t a bad gig. But at this point, aspirations for a Power 5 job are, just that–aspirations. The coaches have been loyal to Chuck and Miami. They have aspirations of being a HC or, at least, making co-ordinator money at P5. I don’t blame them.

1 Like

LSU is hiring the Chiefs’ LB coach to be their DC. So unless Kelly inexplicably decides to hire Chuck as OC again, it looks like the coaches leaving wasn’t a case of trying to proactively avoid unemployment.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine CM is the best Xs and Os choice, but I wouldn’t call it inexplicable. CM was Kelly’s OC when Kelly went to the national title game at Notre Dame.

1 Like

Just a thought, Chuck could look to a Miami alum to fill his Special Teams spot. Brayden Coombs was fired by the Lions last season and is not currently coaching. Perhaps that’s too big of a drop for Brayden, but he’s mostly only been a ST assistant in the NFL. Plus his stay with the Lions ended in controversy, so this could be a safe landing spot for him. I would at least give him a call.

He got fired for going rogue on the head coach right? Calling a fake against the head coaches wishes. Thats a tough one

1 Like

Yeah, he called a fake punt without clearing it with the coach. Not a great look, but I don’t think it’s so bad that he should never get a second chance.

UC’s Offensive Coordinator is headed to LSU

1 Like

So now his offense can get completely shut down by Alabama during the regular season.

1 Like

Based on his performance with UC, not sure why Brian Kelly wants that guy. Although can’t be any worse than what Coach O tried to throw out there the past year or two.

1 Like

He and Kelly go waaaaaaaaay back. They started as GA’s together at Grand Valley State in the 80s.

Guess Kelly finally found someone who will come with him to the Bayou

Footballscoop.com, confirms that Miami has three staff openings at this point.

Miami (OH): Miami currently has three open positions on staff - linebackers, defensive backs, and special teams.

No word yet on where Hauser or Nowinsky are going (OU was the earlier rumor). Also curious if this means Chuck is officially the DC, or if he will elevate someone else on the staff (Brechin?) and just fill the other positions.

I know the ST loss is due to Shearer’s move to his Alma mater. Were the other two moves voluntary or involuntary?

This is interesting…

Not sure on the terms of Hauser and Nowinsky’s departures. Maybe someone closer to the program has more information. Feels like it’s at least a mutual parting, if not Chuck pushing them out. Neither has announced their new landing spot, which you would think would have happened if they were leaving to take a job somewhere else.

1 Like

And we have his replacement: