Dining Hall Changes-Not For The Better!

Well they couldn’t order that breakfast from Western or Martin Dining Halls-since they no longer serve it!!

After emailing and getting no where except vacuous comments, I was provided the name and number of Scott Lamond of Aramark. I just hung up the phone with him. Aramark still has the contract with Miami through this semester. He won’t disclose who has the contract after that. Which is fine, I can obtain that information elsewhere. When I questioned what was going on he proceeded to launch into a discussion of “3 new concepts at Pulley”. Which is great, if you are near Pulley. He then said “well if you don’t live near Pulley you can use the robots”. Great, explain how that works, do food swipes on meal plans work for that? Well yes and no. Yes, for some things. No for others. I asked for those that do work with meal plans is there an additional charge. Yes and no. No if you are there in person. And order the things that come with the meal plan swipes. Great, so tell me about “the robots” and how that works. Students can order and have the food delivered with the robots. For an additional 3.50 charge! Whether you think that is acceptable or not you can decide. But if you live on Western or near Martin you will be paying 3.50 for the privilege of getting food. In addition to the cost of the meal plan. When I commented this seemed like a bit of a money grab, he said we spent a lot of time coming up with these concepts. I said yes, you did. And with coming up with the 3.50 surcharge. Then he proceeded to tell me if you live by Martin you will walk right by Garden dining hall (by Farmer) if you are going to class. I guess he thought I didn’t know Miami’s campus and geography. So we then had a lovely discussion on the myriad of ways one coming from that part of campus would not walk anywhere near Garden. We had a similar discussion about Western but by this time he figured out I know the campus. Since there were several questions he didn’t want to answer, including providing me with the actual census numbers to support these decisions, I asked him to provide me with the number of his Miami University counterpart so I can continue this discussion. I promised I would provide updates to the board so I am.

4 Likes

I would find it hard to believe that the schedule has anything to do with anything other than staffing. Either Aramark can’t find enough staff to run all the locations or they are purposfully cutting operational expenses in the last few months of their deal.

If they are cutting operational expenses that would have to be approved by Miami. And should not be permitted. But in any event, I have a meeting set up with Miami to discuss this further.

If you aren’t already, you might want to familiarize yourself with Bill Ackman and some of the tactics he used in confronting Harvard’s recent screw-up by their leader.

1 Like

A&B likely

You have a copy of the contract between Aramark and Miami? You should share that.

I lived in Havighurst freshman year. I ate at Western quite a bit first semester, but the food sorta sucked, so the visits tapered. I don’t remember eating there much 2nd semester.

Then again, I don’t remember much of anything 2nd semester….

Some spray paint applied to robot cameras will solve this problem right quick.

3 Likes

No offense intended to Blues, but he doesn’t exactly have the pull of Bill Ackman, and dining hall closures (no matter how screwed up) aren’t exactly a war between Israel and Hamas.

4 Likes

Alas, I am no Bill Ackman. However, I did receive my notification yesterday that we are Red Brick Society members for our years of consecutive giving to Miami University! Quite timely given this discussion!

2 Likes

Bluesman: I suspected that you are no Bill Ackman in terms of your personal financial clout…but, if you and other parents can come together on this issue (assuming it is truly a BIG concern to many parents and students) then you may actually have the economic power to shape Trustee and Administrative response to it…otherwise, many with the power to actually change/ improve things may never get the message.
As they say: Bullshit walks and money talks.
BTW, congrats on your membership in Red Brick Society…surely a group with some collective influence, especially if there’s a sea change in group reaction.
Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

We have been giving to Miami University every year since we graduated in 1987. So 37 years of consecutive giving. I am sure others on here have been giving at least as long if not longer.

2 Likes

Add enough commas and zeros and The Bluesman Dining Complex will be built and have 24/7 access.

1 Like

What are the benefits

2 Likes

That comes right after I address the basketball arena! Priorities man, priorities!! :joy:

2 Likes

I can hear Bake now: “Welcome to Bluesman Arena in Oxford, Ohio for tonight’s game between…”

4 Likes

Paint them Fire Hydrant Red,the dogs will love it.

Yes, I do. I submitted an Ohio Public Records Request pursuant to Ohio Revised Code 149.43, this morning, to Miami’s General Counsel. Per the contract, pages 7-8, Section 3, Miami University has final approval on any changes to hours or days of operation.

And speaking of reading contracts, from Above The Law:

1 Like

First Bake must introduce me as I walk onto the court! “And now, Bluesman welcomes you to Miami RedHawk Basketball!!”

P.S This is also how I walk into court!

3 Likes