Dining Hall Changes-Not For The Better!

Wow. This shit just got real. I admire your conviction, and if my knowledge of tv legal dramas mirrors the real world, you may find out a whole lot more than you were expecting as you descend the rabbit hole. Good luck, and thank you for the updates as it’s pretty interesting.

1 Like

Good Luck! A couple of questions here: How was the fee of $3.50 for residents of Western or the North Quad justified? Seems punitive to take away the dining AND add a fee. Had they offered the robot service free to offset the inconvenience, I don’t know that you would have as strong of a case. Second, I believe that most athletes are still housed in the North Quad. Are they too, left without a reasonable option? If so, I would think that Sayler should take issue with that.

Something else that you may review is the contract you or your daughter agreed to for the meal plan. I had a friend that tried to fight another university over a boxed lunch pick up only meal change during Covid. They pointed to verbiage agreed to upon payment that plans and availability were subject to change. From there, he had no ground to stand on.

1 Like

Just a quick update. I just had a nice 25 minute conversation with Geno Svec, head of food services for Miami University. We covered a myriad of topics, including the new 3rd party vendor that will be replacing Aramark as of 5/20/24. We will be continuing our conversation after my mediation today and his meetings at Roudebush. He did confirm many parents have reached out not happy at all. He did appreciate my cordiality as apparently some have not been so cordial. Let’s just say this decision is not being received well.

6 Likes

Is Delaware North taking over?

What did he give as the reason(s) for the change?

Chartwells which is a subsidiary of Compass Group will be the new food service provider with closer supervision by Miami University and significant changes to the contract.

In summary, Aramark lost the contract and decided to cut some costs on the way out. This caused a minor inconvenience for some students for one semester while Miami transitions to a new vendor. These students have the option to walk 10 minutes to a dining hall or pay roughly $200 in fees over the course of a semester for a robot to deliver them food.

2 Likes

I no longer have a student at Miami so this does not impact me. However it is not a minor inconvenience, when parents and students signed up for the meal plan this semester they were unaware of any changes to their plan. There is absolutely no reason students should have to pay a penny more for food above what they already pay, doesn’t matter if a robot delivers it or not, the contractor should eat that cost since they made unannounced changes to an existing plan. 10 minute walk or not, students and parents expected a set level of service when they paid their money and that service level should be met or there should be some refunds

3 Likes

You must have a lot more free time in your day if you think a 10 minute (20 round trip) extra walk is a minor inconvenience

1 Like

I think Miami’s legal department might have a meaningful role in this situation. Aramark is a large company with deep pockets.

I am sorry Hawkattack, but that is an incorrect description of what is going on. I have invested significant time on this talking with Aramark, Geno Svec at Miami and one other person. I have also spoken with Miami University’s General Counsel. If you wish to characterize what I have posted the way you have so be it. But what you posted is incorrect.

As a college student 20 years ago, I had a ton of free time. And used to walk 10-15 minutes each way to class several times per week (uphill both ways). And I would often stop to eat at dining halls on the way to class or after class. We also didn’t have robots delivering us food for a nominal fee. And my parents didn’t pay and certainly never called the school. Maybe it was a different time.

Blues, I tried to summarize what I read in this thread the best I could, but apologize if I missed something. I’m also not privy to the myriad of conversations you’ve had with various Miami administrators. I’m not trying to be a jerk, but my opinion is this situation kind of sucks for the Western kids but is also not as big of a deal as you and other parents are making it out to be.

To me, it seems like $4500 per semester for a meal plan is outrageous and this is the straw that broke the camel’s back.

We need an update, Blues! Where is your daughter eating these days?

Skippers!!!

1 Like

Amarantos Dining Hall

How long until Yellow mentions Phan Shin?

1 Like

I’ll have the wonton with a side of tape worm please

1 Like

If I was a student today,I’d wait until the robot delivered food to my dorm for someone else, then ride the S.O.B back to the food source!

1 Like

She is a healthy eater (and 3rd degree black belt) unlike her father, so over the weekend, as Western was closed, Garden was having salmon so she went there. Thanks for inquiring!