Debate (2) The real question

We covered this several years ago, but people and tastes change. It is that time of year, so the huge question looms- what is your hot dog topping of choice? I am a spicy mustard with onion person and look suspiciously at those who go with tomato based product on their dogs, but to each their own. BTW, I also have a preference in dogs, but that seems to be a separate topic.

1 Like

Yellow mustard and pickle relish

3 Likes

Ketchup

2 Likes

You can grill the onions if you boil the dog. If you grill the dog, then raw onions. Otherwise too damn oily. Spicy mustard is a must.

2 Likes

Mustard ONLY.

2 Likes

Yellow mustard only. However if a brat or mett, then I’ll add other stuff, including ketchup.

2 Likes

If you are a mustard only person, I admire that and suggest a ball park style. With only mustard I would like a little bite or heat. Sweet and hot mustards are also good as stand alone alternatives.

5 Likes

4 Likes

I know someone who puts mayo on their dog. Just ghoulish.

1 Like

That person is uncouth and lacks refinement and good manners.

3 Likes

I know someone who puts jam on their dog…that person’s a dirty dog

3 Likes

You’d have to be absolutely broken to eat that. Whenever the Mayo guy pulls that move I always shake my head and tell him “you’re better then that.”

4 Likes

As a Tiger fan, I often went to Tiger Stadium to watch a game. I always got the grilled dog, even though I might have had to stand in line to get it. The dogs the vendors would sell were in hot water but were green and mushy. Easier to get–just pass a couple bucks down the row of sets and you’ve got your dog. At the games, I only put yellow mustard on it. Elsewhere, I would add ketchup and pickle relish. Maybe onions. And then, there were A&W dogs. Only chili–to this day.

2 Likes

Chicago dogs are awesome! I usually stop at a Portillos whenever I’m in the Windy City. A proper Chicago dog is an all-beef frankfurter (such as Vienna Beef) in a poppy seed bun, topped with yellow mustard, neon-green sweet pickle relish, chopped white onion, tomato slices, a dill pickle spear, pickled sport peppers and celery salt.

Down here in North Carolina, a proper hot dog has to be topped by a slight dab of yellow mustard, chili, finely diced white onions and fine white cole slaw.

Damn! I’m hungry!

2 Likes

I’m not a Portillo’s hater but you can get far better around Chicagoland. Gene & Jude’s, Wiener’s Circle, Parky’s, and plenty other hole in the wall spots have a lot more character and flavor.

1 Like

Alright, that’s it. None of you asked for it, but I’m about to deliver an epic tale of hotdog woe. When I was a young lad, I worked for a hot minute at Skyline on Montgomery road in Cincinnati. You used to have to wear dress shoes and black pants and a white shirt which was funny in a way because as a grunt who was low on the totem pole, I ended up doing all kinds of hard work that made those garmentos look like absolute crap. I would chop onions for hours on end. I still to this day can’t figure out why we couldn’t have put them in a blender on the right setting. Would have done better than I ever could. Then, I would have to do the dishes. They came out hotter than the sun from the dishwasher and you would blister your hands touching them. And sometimes, I would have to do inventory in the cold freezer. it was a giant walk-in closet of a space that a man named “Big John” used to hang out in. He was pushing 4 bills and I would find him reading in there. At the time, I was six feet and 105 pounds and could see my heart beat through my skin. If I spent more than 3 minutes in that room, I would start to get delirious as it was like 30 degrees. John used to say it was like a spring day to him. The worst job though was taking out the old food. The aged hot dogs from the cans in the front that never sold and the piles of old spaghetti and meat sauce. You would take these items down to the dumpster which was at the bottom of an incline. Getting the heavy, wet food waste into the cans was a chore but navigating that wheelie can down the hill was something else. One day, I was in front of it and got pinned between it and the dumpster and ended up falling in. When I came out, I looked like the swamp thing all covered in greasy old chili, spaghetti and hot dog water. My faux Capezios were ruined. When I got out of the dumpster, I walked up to the front and everyone laughed. One dude was like “Cheer up. If you work here another ten years, you can man the hot dogs and you won’t have to do the garbage anymore.” I left that day. Sometimes, I regret quitting the hot dog game, but then threads like this remind me, you can’t ever really quit because the game brings you right back. Ps, I know the secret ingredient for Skyline.

3 Likes

This New Yorker likes a Katz’s hot dog grilled with sauerkraut, mustard, cooked onions and chili. No beans.

1 Like

Triumph is the greatest. Team Weiner’s Circle!

Brazilian style: ground beef, corn, peas, onions, cheese, potato chips, ketchup, and Mayo (don’t judge me too harshly :slight_smile: )

At Great American Ballpark - hot dog (or hot mett), kraut, mustard and onions. Pairs nicely with cold beer.