Dae Dae Grant

Has entered the portal

Not surprised in the least…

1 Like

Probably made up his mind regardless who was going to be the new coach.

2 Likes

And with him goes 40% of our shots.

I don’t see why you stick around for 3 years with a bad coach, then right before your senior season they hire a guy who is clearly better (how much so is yet to be determined), and then you bail.

Whatever. Best of luck to him.

Short term this sucks, but it would suck more if he were going into his sophomore season. We were gonna be bad next year regardless. At least now Steele has an extra 'ship to use and bring in a guy of his own, or go the transfer route.

5 Likes

Remember the expectations entering this season.

1 Like

Extremely talented player. Had the potential to be dynamic and was at times. I think we had many difference-makers in the past five years that were not developed into a cohesive unit.
Would love to have seen how he played in an offensive system with at least some level of structure. Maybe he’ll shop around and change his mind.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that going in the portal doesn’t mean you’re gone.

3 Likes

Sparks is staying at Ball State, for example. But he put his name in the portal before their new coach was hired, whereas Dae Dae entered the portal after Steele was hired.

I’d love to see our top 3 stay but if they all split that’s ok as well. It’s a blank slate as far as I’m concerned and here’s hoping things improve quickly.

2 Likes

I’m guessing the new regime is focusing laser-like on the portal right now.

2 Likes

Yeah… wouldn’t mind a role player (or 2) from the NIT championship team that would start in the MAC. Wonder if any current Musketeers want to follow their old coach…

I grew up in Cincy and watched X play at the original Gardens. (The OG if you will.) it was a disgusting place where you had to take a whiz in a trough whilst some sourpuss fan might yell (if you don’t hurry I’m gonna pee in your back pockets!) That said, was long ago and I’m sure Cintas Center is great. But is their campus that much improved? Would like to think MU would still be a dream to an X player. Hope it is.

2 Likes

Xavier’s campus is much improved and in a City…that said I’m curious who our top 3 are?

Lairy (coming back?)
Dae Dae
Kamari (thought there was a Harper connection here?)

Who’s staying…seems like we are in need of several players…

1 Like

Yellow Number: I too remember the days of the Garden and not to thread jack too much but as you know the Royals played there as well (Big O, Wayne Embry, Jerry Lucas, Jack Twyman, Nate the Skate, etc etc.). My Dad split season tickets with 3 other buddies so he would occasionally take my brothers and me to the games. What I still remember most (since I had and still have severe allergies) was how you could smoke in the area…so disgusting and would cause me to cough and make my eyes water. Every time we went I prayed the guy sitting next to our seats wouldn’t smoke so I could enjoy the game.

1 Like

Yes! I saw Eric Clapton there and it was like seeing Foghat given the visibility. I think it’s safe to say their new arena is first class. But has the rest of the campus caught up? Was a bit neglected as I remember it but it’s been a while. That’s the one thing Miami has always done right and still a reason why some will transfer in. And our new coach!

1 Like

In the last couple decades XU has acquired a significant amount of the landlocked parcels surrounding campus. They have expanded with new buildings and new dorms and shut Ledgewood Ave down and made it a pedestrian plaza on campus. The general perimeter areas around campus have improved greatly since my night school days getting my MBA (93-96). There are apartments and restaurants where before was blight.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update!

I was only in the Gardens once. Saw Wilt Chamberlain play his final game in there against the Royals. I think Tiny and Oscar played that night for Cincy.

2 Likes

I saw Miami play Xavier there for Dave Elmer’s first game after transferring from Duke. Also saw the Cavs play the Royals there in 72? I think Walt Wesley had 50 points for the Cavs. On the way back we got stopped for speeding on 27 near Ross and ended up at a police station in Hamilton!. My first visit to Hamilton! Good times.

1 Like