Colorado College at Miami series thread

We have two competitive major programs?

1 Like

Competitive in the fact that they compete for a significant NCAA title. We have 1 occasional competitive program, the other two have been participatory

1 Like

Again? Isn’t this nine years in a row?

You say that, but how can WMU do it?

2 Likes

Or, Omaha?

1 Like

1-0 CC after a penalty filled first period tonight.

1 Like

Gross, but…big shoutout to the leading lady of hockey. Appreciate the updates. Hope you are doing great!

1 Like

3-1 CC halfway through the 3rd after giving up another SHG to Noah Laba (Laba 4, Miami 2 on the weekend :roll_eyes:).

4-1 final after an ENG.

CC is a pretty decent team, but getting swept at home by a score of 9-2 is not ok. If they keep playing like that, they’ll give up double digits to a great team like DU. :confounded:

I think it was classified as largest single donation. Phil Knight has given more total but not as a single donation.

1 Like

We need to get our winter sports back to our old normal. Hoops and hockey need to get better for sure. Football has taken forever but we are almost back. It is tough with funding 3 major men’s sports in a small town with little to no industry sponsorship. Women’s field hockey is dominant. We need to replicate that.

1 Like

When I was in school, the fun of hockey was that it was easily the closest program on campus to winning a national title (save for synchro, which is a whole other story). That alone justified it being a comparable resource drain to MBB, despite the fact that it wasn’t nearly the resource drain in the CCHA as it is now.

Now the fun is over, the lights are turned way up in the club, and it’s a lot easier to see the hockey program for what it is, which is a program siphoning resources from sports that need them (primarily, football and basketball). This isn’t a personal attack on Bonk or my future wife, @gbeckman, or anyone else who loves the hockey program – I still care enough to track it week in and week out and catch any series reasonably close to the east coast. It’s not even to say to say that the program is incapable of achieving some measure of glory again; a brilliant new coach and a new couple new recruiting classes and we could happen our way to the Frozen Four again. But, I am curious what the long term play is. Would David Sayler, injected with truth serum, tell you that in 15 years Miami will still be able to sustain all 3 sports while competing competitively across the board? Maybe he would tell you that in 2023 it is an impossibility and that the proof is in Miami hockey’s record for the last 6-7 years.

I am genuinely curious whether there is a path forward to keep hockey consistently competitive without absolutely robbing football or basketball blind and without some dumb, lighting in a bottle, luck.

3 Likes

So were there head coaching candidates that turned down Miami,based on salary?

Or, What is the specific money drain you are referring to?

I’m talking about the cost of maintaining an ice arena plus the travel costs incurred by playing in the NCHC, where we sit on something on a geographic island compared to the rest of the conference.

1 Like

Why hasn’t tanyon bajzer seen the ice yet? Coach keeps saying how shorthanded we are up front and moving up dmen to fill in but we haven’t seen our last healthy forward? I know he’s a freshman but at least see what the kid can do it’s not like the other forwards are scoring out the wazoo

Maybe he is injured or ineligible for some reason idk

I will say i was pleasantly surprised with the turn out at the game, there were a lot of people and the crowd, especially the student section, was very into the game

2 Likes

I don’t have the numbers, but Miami has cut travel costs significantly the past decade. Denver, CC and North Dakota are the only conference schools they fly to (yes, they drove to SCSU last week), and they’ve replaced some of those stupid expensive east coast home-and-home series with short-distance drivable trips like Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, Ferris, Lindenwood, Michigan St., etc.

And ticket revenue alone could cancel out a half a million a year if the team was playing better.

Here’s a few other thoughts:

– Exhibitions? Why in the world Miami has stopped hosting exhibition games – which is essentially free money – is beyond me, especially when teams can now host other NCAA teams. Hell, scrimmage the club team and charge $10.

– Stop scheduling games on dates when no one will show up. New Year’s Eve. Thanksgiving weekend for the third straight year. Winter break. Fall break. The first Sunday in October. I’ve asked several people at the rink why this keeps happening and I can’t get an answer.

– Partner with the Cyclones. Cincinnati is certainly no Montreal in terms of hockey, but I see literally hundreds of Cyclones sweaters a year in the concourse. Cross-promote with them – maybe offer a deal to Cyclones fans on Miami tickets. It’s better than the seats sitting empty half of the season. It would be really nice if the long-time Cyclones captain was a former Miami player. Oh yeah, it’s Justin Vaive.

A big problem no one is talking about is the departure of Jude Killy to Maine. Jude knew the college hockey world, he knew how to run the X’s and O’s of this program (promotions, STH relations, etc.) and he bled Miami hockey. There’s no one filling that role now due to the budget tightening.

1 Like

It’s also worth adding that Bergeron makes almost $325,000 per year, to say nothing of his staff and the staff it takes to operate Goggin. The overall costs strike me as very comparable to men’s hoops, with not nearly as much revenue upside.

But the rink also generates a lot of revenue from tournaments, high school games, camps, etc., to off-set much of that. It’s not cheap to rent out of a rink.

3 Likes

I would be shocked if Goggin is a profitable, or even near profitable, operation through rentals if you include the cost of the hockey program. Maybe, but I’d be surprised.