Cincinnati Chili Bowl (no… really)

Tough way to lose weight.

1 Like

There’s no border crossing near Terlingua but I suppose a few Canadians, some Koreans and a few Danes might bring their secret recipes to the Big Bend. Any foreign recipe ever win it?

2 Likes

Oh yeah!

2 Likes

Does your Euro-centric view of the world not allow you to consider that folks from the other side of the river (i.e., Mexicans) participate in and attend the Terlingua Chili Cook-off?

I’m well aware that there is no official border crossing at or near Terlingua (you really meant to say Lajitas, because Terlingua is some 10 miles from the river unlike Lajitas which is actually on the Rio Grande). The nearest bridge or official crossing is about 50 miles up river at Presidio (Texas) - Ojinaga (Chihuahua) and it’s about 320 river miles down to the next official crossing at the Lake Amistad dam. Along the some 370 miles in between there’s at least a dozen or so “unofficial” crossings that are vital links between the small remote communities on both sides of the river in the Big Bend.

I know this because I actually lived in the Big Bend region many years ago. I know that events like the Terlingua Chili Cook-off, the monthly dances at Lajitas, or the social events sponsored by the National Park Service and Los Diablos (Mexican volunteer firefighters) at Big Bend National Park are truly important social events for these remote communities on both sides of the river. There truly is just one (international) community in the Big Bend.

Visited Big Bend once (long ride from Dallas). Pretty tough terrain (a positive).

“eat the Texas chili without beans.”

A favorite!

Thanks for the explanation. But it’s really just a contest to see who makes the best Texas style chili, not the best chili in general. And my Euro-centric family consists of both Korean and Vietnamese family members. I understand the isolation of the Big Bend makes the concept of official crossings somewhat irrelevant.

1 Like

Anyway, the whole concept is about the “unique” culinary offering that Cincinnati is famous for…it’s not really Chili per se but does it really matter?

1 Like

P.S. …coincidentally, after our Cincinnati Chili Bowl discussions I went down to our fitness center (here in NC) and the two guys next to me on other treadmills were talking about Anderson, OH when I walked in…one guy I knew was a retired P&G guy, and the other was a Cincinnati native that I had not yet met until today.

When I mentioned I also a Cincy native, he immediately asked “west side or east side”? A very Cincinnati question. Anyway, told them about the proposed Chili Bowl game and unsurprisingly both thought it was a fantastic idea. :grin:

3 Likes

Local Cincy news article about proposed new bowl…took snapshot of mention of the MAC as desirable partner/participant in the game.

1 Like

I’m thinking it could also be desirable as a B1G/SEC secondary bowl or as a Big12/ACC bowl. UC and Louisville are just 90 miles apart. MC/Sun Belt would also make sense - Marshall and Ohio are the closed two schools in those conferences to each other and both pretty close to Cincy…

I thought Miami was closer to Cincinnati than Ohio?

Correct…by about 2 hours…I presume Nescacdad meant besides Miami.

You’ve got Miami, Ohio, BSU, BG and Toledo all within a 4 hour drive of Cincy. Not sure this bowl would commit one of the two spots exclusively to the MAC…more likely a combination of conference affiliations that include us.

1 Like

I meant close to Cincinnati and the closest two schools to each other…

Doesn’t P and G sell related products like TP,Air Freshener?

1 Like

Border? What border?

1 Like

Conference tie ins and the legitimacy of Cincinnati-style chili aside, will the winning coach be drenched with a scalding pot of chili?

It will have to be tepid chili.

What a mess it would make on the field!

I am not convinced that this bowl (if it comes to fruition at all) will lock the MAC in for a hosting spot…with so many bowls I see this as a opportunity for rotating conference choices of which I am sure the MAC will be one…I guess I could be wrong and the MAC may wanna swap this out for a bowl like Boise or Camellia. Would love to see Miami in it someday!

I could see the sponsors wanting the flexibility to grab UK should they ever be available.

A good Shop-Vac could handle it. I’m mainly concerned about the winning coach being “rewarded” with second degree burns and intense eye irritation.

1 Like

Have to be served cold, Bash!

1 Like