Cincinnati Chili Bowl (no… really)

1 Like

I’m pretty sure being near a sprinkler that spewed out pit toilet “stuff” is up there. :wink:

2 Likes

Some of the jobs Mike Rowe has done on Dirty Jobsdo give me some comfort. Still, at 16, the amount of OSHA safety violations I experienced would likely have made me a small fortune were it 2022

@YellowNumber5 Walt’s Hitching Post is still there, albeit under different management.

1 Like

I wonder if it’s any good. Used to be.

1 Like

Rumpke Garbage Bowl

1 Like

The following post presents opinions and views that some Cincinnati natives may find objectionable. Reader discretion is advised.

I would estimate that 98.975 percent of the country has never heard of Cincinnati-style chili. I grew up in north-central Ohio and never heard of it until I arrived in Oxford my freshman year. If you mention “Cincinnati-style chili” outside of the tri-state region, in some place like Texas where the topic of chili is taken seriously, you’ll get responses ranging from uncontrollable laughter to Linda Blair-like projectile vomiting. While I have little doubt that a Cincinnati Chili Bowl could be successful I fear that a country largely unfamiliar with this bizarre misnamed local cuisine [sic] would view the named bowl with such ridicule that it would be forever subjected to a level of mockery on par or greater than that of the Poulan Weed-Eater and Bad Boy Mowers bowls. *

*The views expressed here are solely those of the author and do not in anyway reflect the views and opinions of Miamhawktalk.fans and/or its moderator.

1 Like

Tut tut. If that logic was true, there would never have been a Beef-o-Brady bowl. That said, I do like the quality of the writing as I did laugh several times.

2 Likes

I would mostly agree with you, Bash, in terms of states not in the immediate vicinity of Cincinnati, but many folks in Kentucky, Indiana, and lower Michigan are obviously familiar w it.

I have lived in every time zone during my career and would tell you that many times when I told people I was from Cincinnati, quite often I was asked about that weird chili called Cincinnati chili and what the hell was it?

I still think that despite the possible derision (and after all, I think most of Texas is the shits-and I would know cause I’ve been there enough- even if they have good bbq), it’s a good idea and with the chuckles would still be a good sponsorship idea promoting Cincy and the tri-State area where Skyline is a known entity.

Harris Teeter sells it in North Carolina!

Yes here as well near Asheville and my son buys it in Charlotte. We also have Graeter’s at Fresh Market grocery stores here too.

When I traveled the Midwest by car I always kept track of where the Skylines were…coming out of Chicago they had one in Indianapolis and have been to the one in Fort Wayne with my brother who lives there.

When I lived in Denver decades ago they opened a Cincinnati style chili parlor (not affiliated w any particular brand)…their TV spokesman was Bronco’s kicker Rich Karlis, the bare-footed kicker our of UC. I went there a number of times, but to Bash’s point it didn’t last and closed up after a couple of years.

I’ll accept Cincinnati-style chili as legit when Skyline and Goldstar can hold their own (or at least not get laughed out of town) at the Terlingua Chili Cook-off in Terlingua, Texas.

I think we can all agree that it’s not really chili…it’s just called that for lack of a better description. It’s just what it is…love it or hate it!

I happen to like it, but I am not a fanatic about it…interestingly, some of the most avid lovers of Skyline I know are buddies of mine at Miami from other states that never had it until they came to Oxford…once they had it they were hooked!

3 Likes

Terlingua only rates and ranks Texas style chilli. It doesn’t consider other variations. It’s a regional chili cookoff…

A major sponsor could be P&G - Makers of Charmin toilet paper and Tide, to get stains out

The Terlingua International Chili Cook-off… yep, that certainly sounds “regional” to me.

BTW, you’re ignoring how the Terlingua Chili Cook-off got it’s start.

They just opened a Skyline in Lakewood Ranch (Bradenton) Florida.

1 Like

They don’t even allow beans in the chili - eliminating 50% of all chili recipes. That’s regional regardless of what they call it. And it’s right on the Rio Grande so that begs the question as to how international it really is.

It’s a great event. I’d love to attend it sometime. I had a crazy friend who participated in chili cook offs in Eastern Washington. He went down to Terlingua and entered the cook-off there. While he was there he and another guy went down to the border and paid a guy to ferry them across to Lajitas. They drank some tequila and ate a couple of bad burritos. Both got sick but my friend had to be medivaced to a nearby hospital and then transferred to a specialty hospital in Denver. He lost about 50 pounds in the ordeal and almost died. The moral of the story is to stay in the Texas side, drink Shiner and eat the Texas chili without beans.

1 Like

I suppose in an alternative universe this comment makes sense.

Brutal! Glad he was ok.

1 Like